Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Browsers deny access or send to wrong sites

I used f8 and got list options. Chose "Last Known etc - but it just takes me the screen I normally get - giving an option to start in Windows XP Media Centre Edition or in Safe Mode. But if I choose the Windows XP it just freezes in black screen like before.
    It does let me choose f8 again, but then I just go around in circles.

(Can't find the CD you mention - not sure I've got it though - PC came with it installed. I might have a Windows 98 CD, plus an "upgrade" to XP CD)

Security Expert-Emeritus Dakeyras's Avatar

Hi.

Hmm strange that as DDS says your particular Operating System is:-

Microsoft Windows XP Professional

OK could well be a log error(due to updates/you changed the operating system) anyway let your machine boot up into:-

Windows XP Media Centre Edition

With regard to no XP CD-ROM and the fact your machine appears to a be a HP modal it probably has a recovery partition on the main system drive.

Out of interest is this drive a extra drive installed or a external drive?

E: is FIXED (NTFS) - 466 GiB total, 103.398 GiB free.

----------

Let myself know the outcome/answer(s) to my questions, thank you.
    Mammuthus Hibernian Scouserus, member of ASAP and UNITE.

Sorry - should have explained - the Windows 98 and XP ugrade were for another PC.

Have chosen XP Media Centre but back to earlier problem - black screen, hard disk light constantly on.

The E Drive is an external additional drive, connected via USB

UPDATE - I found 3 Product Revocery CD that came with the PC. Install Disk, Program Disk 1 and Program Disk 2 (all 3 for Windows XP Media Center - made by Watford Electronics)

Hi.

Reboot your machine again please(into Safe mode) but this time see if you can choose the option Safe Mode with networking.

With regard to Watford Electronics. Aye I am aware of the former IT company and would prefer not to use those particular CD's if we can.

OK try the above for myself please and can you tell myself the exact make/modal your HP machine is before we go any further, thank you.

Getting worse!
    Now its stuck on the flashing cursor so I'm not getting to the f8 option. Currently has screen showing PCI Devide listing, with list of devices, then flashing cursor at bottom of screen - but stuck (and hard disk light constantly on)

Quote Originally Posted by Dakeyras View Post
    can you tell myself the exact make/modal your HP machine is before we go any further, thank you.
    This will be helpful information.

UPDATE: Just had series of clicks and the computer moved on. Managed to use F8 and I tried Safe mode with Networking but it just takes me to same options as before i.e. Safe Mode or Media Center...or F8 again (so still going around in circles)

It says Aries (on a sticky label on side). Not sure where I find the make and model number. I will try and see if documents tell me and get back to you

UPDATE: Sorry - can't find relevant documents. It was a "free" PC when I joined RedTen Broadband about 3 years ago.