Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Browsers deny access or send to wrong sites

Security Expert-Emeritus Dakeyras's Avatar

Hi

OK fair play wingreen, not a lot of viable options remaining I'm afraid...........I would like for your good self to download the below please:

Avira AntiVir Rescue System

Then burn it to either a blank DVD or CD-ROM./R

After that place it in the CD drive of your infected machine and see if will boot-up correctly. If it does post back please and we can proceed from there and acknowledge the below, thank you.

Note: If we use the AARS in a proactive manner and you do not have any backups and in turn they are lost and or a means to carry out a reformat and reinstallation of the Windows operating system be it via the CD's and or HP recovery partition neither myself or Safer Networking will be held responsible for the free advice I impart.
    Mammuthus Hibernian Scouserus, member of ASAP and UNITE.

OK. I put it on a CD and in CD drive of infected machine (its on the CD as an .exe file. Same problem - it took me to the usual screen and I went for xp media centre (rather than Safe Mode) - but do I need to select something like boot from CD when PC starts, or will it automatically go the CD drive?

UPDATE!
    Ignore last message. It didn't burn properly - I'll try again

Burnt OK this time. Tried it. Same problem.
    Does it matter that it was an .exe file? (apologise for ignorance) and do I need to do anything when "Boot from CD?" comes up? (I just left it to try and boot from the exe file on the CD on its own)

Hi.

You may need to change your machine to boot from a CD:-

http://www.hiren.info/pages/bios-boot-cdrom

I checked and its set to Boot from CD Rom first. I did do something to PC a long time ago that made it go to the XP Media Centre or Safe Mode screen (but with a time delay to let me choose), but don't know if that affects things?

EXTRA: I just downloaded the avira thing, burnt it to CD. I didn't run it before burning it. Should I?

Quote Originally Posted by wingreen View Post
    I checked and its set to Boot from CD Rom first. I did do something to PC a long time ago that made it go to the XP Media Centre or Safe Mode screen (but with a time delay to let me choose), but don't know if that affects things?
    Should not in theroy......so follow the instructions below if you accept my prior disclaimer and bare in mind my overall advice/initial post.

• Reboot your machine again with the Avira AntiVir Rescue CD and select option 1#
    • To so type in 1 at the prompt and hit the Enter key.
    • When the main menu screen appears click on the UK Flag(this will change it to the English format).
    • Now click on Configuration and select the following options:-
      • Scan all files
      • Remove infected files
      • Click on Virus scanner
    • When completed follow the prompts
    • Then click on Miscellaneous >> Shutdown >> remove the Avira AntiVir Rescue CD
    • Bootup you computer as normal into Windows.
    When completed the above, please post back the following in the order asked for:
    • How is your computer performing now, any further symptoms and or problems encountered?
    • A new DDS log.

I accept all the warnings.

Not sure what you mean by typing in 1 and Enter.

When I boot up I get Boot from CD? with a flashing cursor, but when I type 1, nothing shows.

At what point do I enter "1"?

Hi.

When you bootup with the CD you should see a black screen with the options as described, any problems merely let it load and the main AARC screen will load automatically then follow my prior instructions from:-

When the main menu screen appears click on the UK Flag(this will change it to the English format).