Thread: error message and update crash

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default error message and update crash

Hi,
    I've been using Spybot for a long time without any problem. These problems appeared today :
    - The updater instantly crashes when I open it.
    - When I click on a colored line in the "system startup" list I always get this error message: "RichEdit line insertion error"

I'm using the version 1.6.2.0. on Windows XP SP3. I tried to reinstall it, used ccleaner, tried to reboot and also tried with an older version (1.6.0.30) but these problems are still there.
    I also checked with the quick analysis of Kaspersky 8 and Malwarebyte, they don't find any virus.

I don't know what to do to make Spybot work properly again.

Hi.
    I had a zip through,and some people had the same RichEdit line insertion error with Spybot in the past,but never on a Windows XP operating system,just older operating systems like Windows 98 or ME,so I'm not sure what is happening.

When you look in C:\Windows\System32,is there a riched32.dll and riched20.dll file in there?

Also,when you open Update and it crashes,do you get any error messages at all,or does it just crash?
    Are you still using the older copy of the program now?

Hi,
    Both files are in my System32 folder.

When I open Update it immediately crashes and the Windows error report pops up.
    I can send you the error report if it can help.

After uninstalling the latest version and reinstalling the old one (1.6.0.30) the problems remain, so I'm not using it.

The version 1.6.0.30 worked well before. I don't know when or why these problems appeared. I haven't used the 1.6.0.30 for a long time, then I only opened Spybot after upgrading to 1.6.2.0. and noticed the problems.

So,you uninstalled 1.6.0.30 and reinstalled Spybot 1.6.2.46 then?
    I'm not sure if I'll be able to decipher anything in the Windows Error Report,but I might be able to pick something out of it,so go ahead and post it if you like.

Clipmate has a tiny program to run to see if you have a bad .dll.(I already downloaded and ran it to see that it's safe.)
    http://www.thornsoft.com/clipmate5_s...ineinserterror
    You just save it to your desktop,then rightclick,extract all,then run it.
    You probably won't get an error when you run it,but if you do,don't bother following the instructions later on to extract the .dll file,those instructions are for Windows 95/98.Just let me know if you get an error when you run the .exe or not.