Thread: won't immunize windows global (hosts)

Default won't immunize windows global (hosts)

this is xp 32 bit

i downloaded this program last night and for some reason it will not immunize the windows global "hosts", but will immunize everything else.

and now that i look at it, it hasn't immunized my firefox browser in my limited account. which makes no sense since it immunized them in my admin account.

okay, now my firefox on this limited account has been immunized, but it still will not immunize the global (hosts). why?
    Last edited by doorblob; 2010-06-22 at 17:30.

and since i can't edit anymore

i'm using avira and have never had a problem in the past when using spybot.

is there any chance that noscript could have anything to do with this? because the immunizations on firefox do not stay immunized.

NoScript isn't the problem. It's clearing Firefox Site Preferences. See Immunization Settings for Firefox Lost Every Time Browser Opened

and what about the windows global (hosts) not being immunized? i've rant this as every user possible on this pc and it won't immunize the windows global (hosts) check box.

Hello,

Some users have reported that they use SpySweeper or SpywareBlaster and shutting them down solves the problem. ZoneAlarm might also block the global hosts. If you go to Firewall in ZoneAlarm on the left and then the main tab in the upper right then go down to the advance button and click on it you will see under General setting "Lock Hosts file".

Further please try the following:
    Open Spybot > Immunize > under Windows uncheck Global (Hosts). Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode > Tools > Hosts file > and then click on the "Add Spybot S&D hosts list" button. Go back into Spybot > Immunize

The problem that not all global host entries have been immunized has also been discussed in our forum:
    Can't immunize some items
    Immunize won't do all - Global (Hosts) not complete
    Cannot immunize 6370 Global (Hosts)

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

alright, i'll do that.

i should have noted.

i'm using avira antivir suite with firewall, and i'm running xp 32

Quote Originally Posted by spybotsandra View Post
    Hello,

Some users have reported that they use SpySweeper or SpywareBlaster and shutting them down solves the problem. ZoneAlarm might also block the global hosts. If you go to Firewall in ZoneAlarm on the left and then the main tab in the upper right then go down to the advance button and click on it you will see under General setting "Lock Hosts file".

Further please try the following:
    Open Spybot > Immunize > under Windows uncheck Global (Hosts). Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode > Tools > Hosts file > and then click on the "Add Spybot S&D hosts list" button. Go back into Spybot > Immunize

The problem that not all global host entries have been immunized has also been discussed in our forum:
    Can't immunize some items
    Immunize won't do all - Global (Hosts) not complete
    Cannot immunize 6370 Global (Hosts)

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot
    that didn't work. :/

Quote Originally Posted by doorblob View Post
    alright, i'll do that.

i should have noted.

i'm using avira antivir suite with firewall, and i'm running xp 32
    Avira can lock the hosts file and prevent SpyBot Search & Destroy from writing to it. See Question about Avira config setting

"Advanced options
    Windows Host file is not locked/locked.
    If this option is set to LOCKED, the windows host file is write protected. Manipulation is no longer possible. For example, malware is not able to redirect you to undesired websites. The state of this option is NOT LOCKED as the default setting."

nevermind