Thread: ver 2.0.12 vs. 1.6.2

Default ver 2.0.12 vs. 1.6.2

Win 7 64 SP1

Sometimes I feel like I don't understand what ver 2 is doing when it shows up so many things it thinks are problems. On a couple of occasions I sort of close my eyes and tell it to fix everything. Makes me nervous.

What would I lose if I went back to ver 1.6?

In addition when I use the update button in the Start Center it gives me a bunch of files it says are OK but it still says the definitions are not up to date. I saw where somebody with a similar problem was told about "check status". As I said I use the Update button and don't even see a Check Status button.

Richard

After a scan,you can click on anything listed,and look over to the left for Details on it.
    If it is in Category:Tracks,then it isn't cause for alarm.
    Usage Tracks are explained here:
    http://www.safer-networking.org/faq/usage-tracks/

When you click on Update in Start Center,it automatically does a Status Check.After you click Ok on that,you should see a Status Check Button and an Update button underneath the Update window.
    If you click the Update button,Spybot should check for updates.

Default What Do I Do With All These Registry Items?

Hi Zenobia,
    Thanks for your helpful reply. I have the update part OK.

I delete cookies regularly. My main concern with ver 2.0.12 is that it shows me some registry keys that it considers to be problems. Can I safely remove these? I have caused some interesting problems by "fixing" my registry in the past. I know I can backup the registry before running Spybot but if I do I will also be backing up all the problems as well.

The log I have attached doesn't show the cookies found- just the registry entries I am referring to.

Richard
    Attached Files Attached Files

Those are all Usage Tracks.You should be able to safely remove them without harm to your registry,and Spybot also makes backups of them when it removes them.
    However,it's not really necessary to remove tracks unless you would prefer to.So,if you would rather Spybot just deal with malware,then please do this:
    Open Spybot-S&D Start Center,then put a checkmark beside Advanced User Mode.
    Click Settings,and click Yes to the prompt from UAC.
    Click the Categories tab,and then somewhere within the Categories window rightclick,select Spyware Scan Only,then click Apply,and then OK.

Default spyware scan only?

I have been looking in the Categories page. I can't find a universal "spyware scan only" option. I do see that every category has its own "spyware scan only" option.

Do I need to select "spyware scan only" for each category or does selecting it in one category apply to all categories?

Thanks,
    Richard

When you rightclick and select Spyware Scan Only,what happens is that all the entries in the Malware Detection category are automatically checkmarked,and the entry in the Usage Tracking category is unchecked.It actually is universal.