Thread: Takes a long time to immunize into Firefox v3.6.8?

Question Takes a long time to immunize into Firefox v3.6.8?

Hi!

Is it me or does it take a LONG time to immunize, from scratch, into Firefox v3.6.8 in an updated (well as of two months ago) Windows 2000 SP4 on an old Dell Optiplex GX280 PC with 512 MB of RAM? Is that normal?

Thank you in advance.

Hello,

Did you close your browser during the immunization?
    Do you have any other security software installed?

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Quote Originally Posted by spybotsandra View Post
    Hello,

Did you close your browser during the immunization?
    Do you have any other security software installed?

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot
    Sandra, yes or else Spybot would prompt me about it. Other security suite would be the latest version of Avast Free. Before Avast was Norton AntiVirus Corporate Edition (NAVCE) that was uninstalled. Just remember, this is a very old PC from 2002 or so.

There could be remnants of Norton still on the machine, as it doesn't uninstall cleanly. See Download and run the Norton Removal Tool to uninstall your Norton product.

I'm using Firefox 3.6.8 and Avast 5.x. SpyBot Search & Destroy immunizations don't take long at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Gopher John View Post
    There could be remnants of Norton still on the machine, as it doesn't uninstall cleanly. See Download and run the Norton Removal Tool to uninstall your Norton product.

I'm using Firefox 3.6.8 and Avast 5.x. SpyBot Search & Destroy immunizations don't take long at all.
    I don't see Norton AntiVirus COROPORATE EDITION (not consumer).

I forgot to mention that no problems if immunizing over existing previous immunizations.
    Last edited by antdude; 2010-08-30 at 19:28.

There is a link to a Norton Corporate uninstall at RAProducts' AV and AS Uninstallers. Scroll down to the line
    [24b] new! Norton/Symantec Corporate > Info > Tool (Note: Removes Norton/Symantec Corporate Edition up to version 10).
    This uninstaller doesn't seem to be from Symantec. It might be better(safer) to use the instructions here.
    Manual uninstallation documents for Symantec Client Security products. This would confirm that remnants of Symantec products are causing any problems.

OTOH, since you state that updating immunizations after the initial first immunization isn't taking long at all, there may be no issue at all. It's been so long since my initial immunization that there have been numerous additions since.

There is a link to a Norton Corporate uninstall at RAProducts' AV and AS Uninstallers. Scroll down to the line

This uninstaller doesn't seem to be from Symantec. It might be better(safer) to use the instructions here.
    Manual uninstallation documents for Symantec Client Security products. This would confirm that remnants of Symantec products are causing any problems.

OTOH, since you state that updating immunizations after the initial first immunization isn't taking long at all, there may be no issue at all. It's been so long since my initial immunization that there have been numerous additions since.
    Yeah, that is why I said "from scratch". Not from previous immunizations. The weird thing is that it only happens with Firefox category during immunization.

As for NAV CE, it appears to be uninstalled correctly according to http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...nsf&view=docid ... I only saw left over LiveUpdate files, but nothing serious. Those were deleted manually.

I think that the immunizations are placed in permissions.sqlite file in each Firefox profile. Mine is 2,800KB with full immunization by SpyBot Search & Destroy and SpywareBlaster. If there were any immunizations placed by Norton or another program, SpyBot S&D resolving them initially may well account for the delay. I've no other ideas, sorry.

I think that the immunizations are placed in permissions.sqlite file in each Firefox profile. Mine is 2,800KB with full immunization by SpyBot Search & Destroy and SpywareBlaster. If there were any immunizations placed by Norton or another program, SpyBot S&D resolving them initially may well account for the delay. I've no other ideas, sorry.
    AFAIK, no other programs using that file beside Spybot.

Just for kicks, I tried my VMware Workstation v7.1.1 with outdated Windows 2000 SP4 (IE5.0 SP2; 512 MB of RAM). I installed a new Firefox v3.6.8 and SpyBot S&D v1.6.2.46. I was able to reproduce the problem, but its immunization was faster. Each immunization in Firefox part still showed a couple minutes. I also noticed SpyBot's EXE file was hogging CPU too.

I forgot to mention the client's PC is Intel Pentium 4 Prescott (hyperthreading/HT).