Thread: Secure Shredder

Default Secure Shredder

Ok, I probably did the wrong thing - after re-installing Windows I notice a copy of Spybot S&D on my D: (backup) drive and I ran it (without actually installing it - onto my C: drive). Everything seemed to work fine. But today I started Secure Shredder to wipe a file from my C: drive then copy the backup from D: to C:. I selected the file on C: and clicked "Chop it Away!". It returned "Done" before my mouse could up-click. And the file was still there. I went to my backup and it was gone. BUMMER!! I checked again and it actually SAID C:<filename> after selecting, not D:<filename>.

Why?? Is this performing as expected? Secondly, can it securely shred a 16Gb file with 35 passes in less than a second (he asks rhetorically)?

Oops. No, my backup is not gone. But all questions remain.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeLong View Post
    can it securely shred a 16Gb file with 35 passes in less than a second (he asks rhetorically)?
    This is a valid point that I can't see an answer to.

The last file shredder I used took some time (and surely would do) to overwrite each part of the data. I tested Secure Shredder by deleting a 5gb file. It did it almost instantly.

Surely, unless it does a lengthy overwrite then the file is not truly deleted?????

Does anyone have an answer?