Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Search & Destroy freezes at same point.

Default Spybot Search & Destroy freezes

I thought I might throw this info in, I have just done a clean install of XP Pro, and find that when I install version 1,4, and do the update from 22nd December it freezes when I check for problems, as I have barely been on the net for a few minutes, let alone browse I cannot see how I could be infected.

I tried it on both patched, and unpatched XP service pack 2, safe mode, and in safe mode it seems to happen immediately, not even reaching 200 intems in the scan.

As I have used I have used Spybot Search & Destroy since version 1.2, this is most probably the second time there has been a problem, ever!

I notice for some the problem started in November.

Is it hardware related, as I have installed xp on many sytems, and installed Spybot S & D on many of them?

As I am installing it on a SIS (661) chipset motherboard, Maxtor 40gb hdd, Intel 3.0gHz P4, 512 MB ddr ram, is this the common factor. I have checked another SIS chipset (760) motherboard that is running version 1.4 on xp home with older signature file from 3rd November, will update and see what happens, if it freezes I will post an update on this.

Default Spybot Search & Destroy freezes

I thought I might throw this info in, I have just done a clean install of XP Pro, and find that when I install version 1,4, and do the update from 22nd December it freezes when I check for problems, as I have barely been on the net for a few minutes, let alone browse I cannot see how I could be infected.

I tried it on both patched, and unpatched XP service pack 2, safe mode, and in safe mode it seems to happen immediately, not even reaching 200 intems in the scan.

As I have used I have used Spybot Search & Destroy since version 1.2, this is most probably the second time there has been a problem, ever!

I notice for some the problem started in November.

Is it hardware related, as I have installed xp on many sytems, and installed Spybot S & D on many of them?

As I am installing it on a SIS (661) chipset motherboard, Maxtor 40gb hdd, Intel 3.0gHz P4, 512 MB ddr ram, is this the common factor. I have checked another SIS chipset (760) motherboard that is running version 1.4 on xp home with older signature file from 3rd November, will update and see what happens, if it freezes I will post an update on this.

Default Spybot freezes during scan

OOPS!!!

Twice!!!

My investigations are over, good ol' P4, and hyperthreading!!!

Bummer no fix, and have to reset affinity everytime.

Hurry up and transfer over to new development tools seeing Borland don't want to fix their bug.

Must remember if they do a proper job they will not be able to sell upgrades, because 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' will come into play!!!

Esteemed Member

Quote Originally Posted by johnspot View Post

My investigations are over, good ol' P4, and hyperthreading!!!

Bummer no fix, and have to reset affinity everytime.
    See my post in this other thread that explains how to perform a patch on the SpybotSD.exe file that will make a permanent change to that copy of the file.

Permanent Affinity setting for Spybot S&D hang on HTT

A new version is coming, but may still be a few weeks off. The fix I posted in the other thread will hold you over til then if you wish.

Bitman