Thread: peculiar sound when scanning with s&d

Default peculiar sound when scanning with s&d

Hi,

after scanning with free av (latest updates) for viruses and trojans, free av did not detect any of those. it detected 325 hidden objects. i looked in the scan log, the hidden object are not of importance, i can post the results if wanted, i know free av board is better for such topics that has to do with free av,

after this i rebooted my laptop, and booting up finished, i checked for new updates, thats the way i do it regulary check for updates, wait for the update to finish, and boot again to check for new updates i know this sounds peculiar, but thats the way i try to circumvent or prevent missing updates, windows pcs are machines which need to be reboot after installing updates, nix machines dont need to reboot (in most circumstances) nix machines also dont need virus protection, when used as a home pc.

ok after checking the second time for updates i did a rootkit check with free av, nothing detected, and no 325 hidden objects this time, i have to add to this that free av did update a 99kbytes update, and after this i checked for rootkits and no 325 hidden objects and no rootkits,

i deactivated free av services and the main program with msconfig.exe and activated spybot search and destroy (latest updates from s&d and latest updates on a windows 7 home premium 32bit laptop),

i start scanning, and s&d did beep about 10 - 15 times, but no malicious software detected by s&d, the beep sound like free av when detecting viruses, i never heard this beep sound from s&d,

what could have been that, any ideas?

please help me, i can post a hijack this log to, also i can post the log of the 325 hidden objects, i will do this too on free av board, i am behind a fritz.box with activated firewall, no issues since now, i am not being attacked, i know for sure, i surf safe no attacker issue,

thank you, hoping for a fast reply...

bye

i think i have solved this issue, i did not deactivated avira antivir planer and avira antivir guard services in msconfig.exe, very rare that this happens to me, laugh at my failure,
    Last edited by user777; 2010-11-14 at 22:28. Reason: solved this issue

Hello,

Perhaps you have activated the sound accidently.
    Please check:
    Run Spybot - Search & Destroy and switch to the Advanced mode via the menu item Mode.
    Now select 'Settings' - 'Settings' from the navigation bar on the left.
    Scroll down to: Main settings - Play alerts on these occasions.
    Is any checkbox ticked here?

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

hi spybotsandra,

first of all i am german resident too, speaking german, i started this topic in english so i continue replying, answering to this topic in english.

thank you for your hint on that peculiar sound appearing when scanning with s&d, i did not checked the setting you mentioned because, i never changed this setting before nor did i activated a advanced mode,

but the reason for that peculiar sound is, after an update to latest Avira Free AV Definitions, Avira possibly changed a setting,

In Avira Free AV Main Window press F8 eventually check the box which says Expert Mode, on the left navigate to the Tree, select "general" and go to "security" there is a field (in german "Produktschutz")

prevent stopping of services

prevent changing of files and registry entries

if this two boxes are checked and you have no sufficient rights to deactivate Avira Free AV Services and Main Program on startup (msconfig.exe), Avira Free AV will boot too regardless of S&D.

This was the reason i experienced that peculiar sound when scanning with S&D.

at last i have question, is it necessary to scan with S&D after scanning with Avira Free AV for viruses, trojans, malware and Rootkits?

I surf safe and S&D never discovered any threats.

Thank you

CU

user777
    Last edited by user777; 2010-11-17 at 16:26.

Hello,

I would still recommend a scan with Spybot - Search & Destroy because it is not possible for any anti-spyware-tool to detect every threat.
    The spyware sector is growing and developing too fast.
    So it might happen that one anti-spyware-tool detects something that the other misses.
    Therefore it is recommendable to run more than one security software.

By the way - we also have a german subforum here.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot