Thread: Spybot won't run

Default Spybot won't run

Working on an old computer - Winxp Home. Kid (son in law)had lots of junk and viruses and it was to the point it wouldn't do anything. Avast was installed but would not function. I downloaded a new version, but it also will no function. When I started on this, a program called Antivirus 2011 was running and the messges said he has 106 viruses. I finally got rid that, by manually deleting files. Avast indicated it was running, but after 3 hours, nothing was happening. I downloaded Spybot. Got a message that it couldn't find the file or device, or I didn't have permission. I am running as administrator. Un-installed Spybot and got rid of more junk. Installed Spybot again and got the same message. I downloaded a fresh copy of Spybot and during install I got a message that Spybot.exe was already there. I continued with the install and this time it didn't do anything. I used Revo to un-install Spybot, but there were still files there. I delete some, but Spybot.exe said I can't access the file even though the folder show empty. Going to the view, I unchecked the "hide system files". Spybot is now listed as a system file and I can't access it or delete it. As of now, I have 3 instances of Spybot.exe listed as system files. One in the C\: directory, and two in the program directory. Spybot will NOT run using the .scr file.
    I am attaching the dos.txt file and the Attach zipped file.

DDS (Ver_10-12-05.01) - NTFSx86
    Run by Administrator at 19:45:03.42 on Wed 12/08/2010
    Internet Explorer: 8.0.6001.18702 BrowserJavaVersion: 1.6.0_11
    Microsoft Windows XP Professional 5.1.2600.3.1252.1.1033.18.510.122 [GMT -5:00]

AV: avast! Antivirus *On-access scanning enabled* (Updated) {7591DB91-41F0-48A3-B128-1A293FD8233D}
    AV: Microsoft Security Essentials *On-access scanning disabled* (Updated) {BCF43643-A118-4432-AEDE-D861FCBCFCDF}

============== Running Processes ===============

"\\.\globalroot\Device\svchost.exe\svchost.exe"
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost -k DcomLaunch
    svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs
    svchost.exe
    svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\DVDLauncher.exe
    svchost.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
    C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\Core\smax4pnp.exe
    C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
    C:\Program Files\Dell Photo AIO Printer 962\dlbxmon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\vVX3000.exe
    C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
    C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jusched.exe
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft LifeCam\MSCamS32.exe
    C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\MYWEBS~1\bar\2.bin\m3SrchMn.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\PC Tools\sMonitor\StartManSvc.exe
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Search Enhancement Pack\SeaPort\SeaPort.exe
    C:\Program Files\MSN Toolbar\Platform\5.0.1423.0\mswinext.exe
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Essentials\msseces.exe
    C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast5\avastUI.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
    C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe -k imgsvc
    C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\Common\ViewpointService.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WLIDSVC.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Greetings Workshop\GWREMIND.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WLIDSvcM.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\dlbxcoms.exe
    C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe -k HTTPFilter
    C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe

Any help appreciated

Lynn

Emeritus

hi Lynn1102,

If you still need help post back.
    How Can I Reduce My Risk?

Default Sptbot won't run

Shelflife, I still need help. I have backed up all the files I can. I'm trying to get the restore info from Dell, but the web site isn't co-operating. This computer is supposed to have a restore function, but I can't get to it.
    If you have any suggestions, I'll try them. Otherwise I'm about ready to wipe the drive clean and start from scratch.

Lynn
    Last edited by tashi; 2010-12-22 at 16:52. Reason: Date of archive

Emeritus

hi,

Malware can prevent .exe from running, installing or updating etc. It can also produce various messages to prevent you from doing certain tasks.

If you want to try and clean it up assuming its all a malware problem we can start with combofix. There is a guide to read first. Read through the guide and apply the directions on your own machine. If you cant run combofix for some reason after a normal start up then you can try running it in safe mode.

To reach safe mode you would tap the f8 key during a computer restart. From the options screen choose the first option from the list: safe mode, log in to your normal account, once at the safe mode desktop run combofix.

Guide to using Combofix

regarding the Dell, during a normal boot you might see some options to press a certain key to enter a mode which might be a restore function. You have to be looking because it can flash by pretty quick during the boot up. A reformat/reinstall would certainly take care of any problem and can sometimes be the fastest (and safest) option.
    In any case I wont be back on line for 16 hrs or so.
    How Can I Reduce My Risk?