Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Antimalware Doctor + more

Thank you so much for your help.

I just had a couple more questions...

Is having multiple HOSTS files beneficial? I used to have peter lowe's and MVPS both (in 1 host file, just copy+pasted both HOSTS lists into one file)? I assume there'd be some redundancy but if it's all directed "home" then I didn't think there'd be conflicts.

I also have a 2T external HDD, I was wondering if you had any suggestions for an "emergency kit". I almost lost web connection completely in dealing with this computer...

What sort of things might I want to keep on an external HDD to help me out in a bad situation? IE: copies of mbam, combofix, an executable notepad, web browser, etc. Would any of that be useful?

Is it possible to create "system restore points" or registry backups onto an external HDD? Is it advisable to create a bootable windows on the external HDD that I can use to recover a compromised comp?

And how would you structure an external HDD to keep it safe from infection if it's needed to recover a comp?

One more question, sorry.

Is it beneficial to have MSE and TeaTimer both active at the same time? Or is it redundant?

Security Expert- Emeritus

Hello bob200 ,

You are welcome.

Is having multiple HOSTS files beneficial?
    Bad sites appear by the hundreds daily, we can never keep up. Having a basic host like the MVPS in place should be good enough provided that we use the Internet with more sense and care. Nothing wrong to have a combination of more than one host file contents from different sources in one host file.

I also have a 2T external HDD, I was wondering if you had any suggestions for an "emergency kit". I almost lost web connection completely in dealing with this computer...

What sort of things might I want to keep on an external HDD to help me out in a bad situation? IE: copies of mbam, combofix, an executable notepad, web browser, etc. Would any of that be useful?

Is it possible to create "system restore points" or registry backups onto an external HDD? Is it advisable to create a bootable windows on the external HDD that I can use to recover a compromised comp?

And how would you structure an external HDD to keep it safe from infection if it's needed to recover a comp?
    Malware nowadays are so advanced that having an "emergency kit" may or may not save you from a bad situation. I feel that the right approach should be having a bootable CD, the best being the Windows CD so that we can alway do a reformat and reinstall or repair install, backup your important data regularly and prevent infections based on my previous recommendations rather than cure. Have you gone through all the materials that I provided in my earlier post? I only use my external hard drive for keeping a backup of data.

Please note that ComboFix should not be used without supervision. Consequences can be quite disastrous if things are done incorrectly.

Is it beneficial to have MSE and TeaTimer both active at the same time? Or is it redundant?
    The former is an Antivirus, the latter an Antispyware. It is alright to have them both. They will complement each other. One thing to keep in mind is that you will not be 100% secure even though you have these protection. This is where sensible and responsible use of the computer and the Internet comes into the picture.
    Last edited by Jack&Jill; 2011-01-11 at 16:04.

Security Expert- Emeritus

As your problems appear to have been resolved, this topic is now closed.

We are glad to be of help. If you are satisfied with our assistance and wish to donate to help with the costs of this volunteer site, please read :
    Your donation helps in improving Spybot-S&D!