Thread: Spybot disable windows security center?

Default Spybot disable windows security center?

Hey everyone
    I did a scan yesterday with Spybot, and it gave me this result: Microsoft.WindowsSecurityCenter_disabled

I get this every once in a while and fix it with no issues. However, this time it seemed to actualy disable the security center by fixing it. When I restarted my computer, I got this little balloon on the taskbar saying "Your computer may be at risk, Norton internet security is turned off". However, Norton loads right after that, then the balloon goes away. I am a little concerned, because I have never had that problem before. I don't know if something 'bad' is on my computer and is reseting things. I did do scans with Spybot, Ad Aware, Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta, and Norton, and nothing turned up.

I finally got the security center enabled again. I also had to change the way it notified me about risks in order to get the balloon to stop appearing.

So I needed to do another scan today, and I got the same error, along with these:
    Windows Security Center.AntivirusDisableNotify
    Windows Security Center.FirewallDisableNotify

However, I know these are functioning right, so I made it where they wouldn't show up anymore on searches.

I am a little paranoid about any viruses and spyware getting on my comp, so I wanna know if you guys think there may be a bigger problem somewhere.

Thanks in advance.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

There is another thread on the same subject here:

Quote Originally Posted by DazzleSurprise
    … However, this time it seemed to actualy disable the security center by fixing it. When I restarted my computer, I got this little balloon on the taskbar saying "Your computer may be at risk, Norton internet security is turned off". However, Norton loads right after that, then the balloon goes away. I am a little concerned, because I have never had that problem before.
    By fixing the detection you actually turned on Windows Security Center and started getting alerts being issued by Windows Security Center which is exactly what Windows Security Center is designed to do. It warned you that "Norton internet security" was not loaded and protecting you. Windows Security Center also removed that alert as soon as "Norton internet security" was loaded and operating.

I finally got the security center enabled again. I also had to change the way it notified me about risks in order to get the balloon to stop appearing.

So I needed to do another scan today, and I got the same error, along with these:
    Windows Security Center.AntivirusDisableNotify
    Windows Security Center.FirewallDisableNotify

However, I know these are functioning right, so I made it where they wouldn't show up anymore on searches.
    Actually you got Windows Security Center disabled again and are now ignoring the detections to that fact in Spybot's scans.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

DazzleSurprise made two posts in a related topic here:

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

I know windows security is working fine now....

I mean, should I be worried about this? I tend to get paranoid about comp problems. If you think it's minor, then I won't worry on it. Thanks!

DazzleSurprise:

I mean, should I be worried about this?
    If you disabled Windows Security Center and are now ignoring the detections in Spybot's scans, there may be a reason for concern. You are relying on Norton itself to notify you if it is not active in your system.

When Windows XP SP2 was released one of the key features was Windows Security Center. Windows Security Center offers the ability to monitor from within the operating system whether or not there is a firewall and/or anti-virus was active in the system. A majority of the major players in the firewall and anti-virus market (including McAfee and Symantec) agreed to be "partners" with Microsoft and share code so that Microsoft's Windows Security Center could monitor not only whether or not their product was active but also if it was up-to-date.

However, although McAfee and Symantec (and possibly other vendors) agreed to be "partners" in this effort, it appears that they also optionally disable features of the Windows Security Center (and in my opinion do so without fully explaining that they are disabling these features).

I personally do not have my McAfee Security Center set as the default Security Center. I find it very comforting that I am immediately notified via an informational balloon issued by Windows Security Center when either my anti-virus or firewall are disabled.

Norton is on and the security center is on too. Even with both of them on, Spybot says they are disabled, or that someone changed the settings.

Sorry to double post.
    I am just wondering if that is normal. They are both working, but Spybot still detects something with them.

DazzleSurprise:

If you and/or Norton were not disabling some of the features of Windows Security Center I do not believe you would be getting any Windows Security Center type detections from a Spybot during a scan ("Check for problems").

Windows Security Center, Norton and Spybot can coexist getting only alerts from Windows Security Center if Norton is not fully active, which in my humble opinion provides the best protection.

Perhaps if you read the following post by bordello in Spybot & Windows Security Centre.....warning it would help:

If you still feel that everything in Windows Security Center is in fact enabled and Spybot is falsely identifying that options within Windows Security Center are disabled, please post a log of the actual detections you are getting. To do that:
    • Run another scan.
    • When the scan completes, right click on the results list, select "Copy results to clipboard".
    • Then paste those results into a new post in this thread.

Thanks