Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: TR/Crypt.XPACK.Gen2 found

Avira is telling me to update...should I wait until we're through?

Visiting Fellow

Hi Gigihns.
    I have not received any more virus alerts from Avira.
    Excellent good work well done.
    Avira is telling me to update...should I wait until we're through?
    Yes you can go ahead and let it update.
    What the ESET scan detected were infected system restore points, the instructions below will clean those up.
    your latest set of logs appear to be clean!, if you are having no further problems you're good to go.

This is my general post for when your logs show no more signs of malware.

Now that you are clean, please follow these simple steps in order to keep your computer clean and secure:

Time for some housekeeping
    • Click on Start >> Run...
    • Now type in ComboFix /Uninstall into the box and click OK.
    • Note the space between the X and the /Uninstall, it needs to be there.

The above procedure will reset your System Restore and clear out the backups and quarantines created during the course of this fix.

Next.

OTC

Download OTC by Old Timer and save it to your Desktop. This tool will remove all the tools we used to clean your pc.

• Double-click OTC.exe
    • Click the CleanUp! button
    • Select Yes when the Begin cleanup Process? Prompt appears
    • If you are prompted to Reboot during the cleanup, select Yes
    • The tool will delete itself once it finishes, if not delete it by yourself

Note: If you receive a warning from your firewall or other security programs regarding OTC attempting to contact the internet, please allow it to do so.

You can now delete any tools we used if they remain on your Desktop.

Protection Programs
    Don't forget to re-enable any protection programs we disabled during your fix.

Update your Antivirus programs and other security products regularly to avoid new threats that could infect your system.
    You can use one of these sites to check if any updates are needed for your pc.
    Secunia Software Inspector
    F-secure Health Check

Visit Microsoft often to get the latest updates for your computer
    You can do that HERE

Read some information HERE On how to prevent Malware

I would be grateful if you could reply to this post so that I know you have read it and, if you've no other questions, the thread can be closed.

Safe surfing!

WooHoo!!! I can't thank you enough. I can't believe you fixed it that quickly! You're a hero!!!

So was it the virus that prevented the SP3 update from working? When I tried to update to SP3 last week, my computer would only work in safe mode and I eventually had to go to the last restore point to get it to work.

I will continue with all of the instructions.

Just to be sure I'd doing this right...I typed in combofix /uninstall and a box pops up asking to run combofix. I click okay, and another box pops up telling me that antivir needs to be disabled before continuing. I can disable it, but I just want to be sure I'm not running the combofix tool we used instead of uninstalling the combofix tool.

Is this uninstall procedure supposed to look just like the first time we ran combofix?

Visiting Fellow

Hi Gigihns.
    I can't thank you enough.
    You're most welcome
    So was it the virus that prevented the SP3 update from working?
    Quite possibly are you able to install the update now?
    Use the following to uninstall ComboFix.
    I will also give you instructions to clear the infected restore points just to be sure they are cleaned up.
    let me know if you have any other problems or questions.

Next.

Create a new, clean System Restore point

• Create a new, clean System Restore point which you can use in case of future system problems:
    • Press Start >> All Programs >> Accessories >>System Tools >> System Restore
    • Select Create a restore point, then Next, type a name like All Clean then press the Create button and once it's done press Close
    • Now remove old, infected System Restore points:
    • Next click Start >> Run and type cleanmgr in the box and press OK
    • Ensure the boxes for Recycle Bin, Temporary Files and Temporary Internet Files are checked, you can choose to check other boxes if you wish but they are not required.
    • Select the More Options tab, under System Restore press Clean up... and say Yes to the prompt
    • Press OK and Yes to confirm

I tried to close the box that is still on the screen regarding combofix and antivir so I could use the link you just sent. A new box popped up that says:

Warning!!
    antivirus: AntiVir Desktop

The above real time scanner(s) are still active but ComboFix shall continue to run. Kindly note that this is at your own risk

How do I get out of the combofix that wants to run so I can use the link you just sent?

Visiting Fellow

Hi.
    Just close the boxes on the screen and delete ComboFix the old fashioned way

Delete Combofix Qoobox folders and Combofix.txt file from C:
    Delete Combofix from your desktop.

Let me know if that works.

Shall I use the X to close the box or click "okay"? I'm sure these are ridiculous questions, but these warnings about damaging my computer scare me! If I click "ok" won't the combofix tool begin to run?

Visiting Fellow

Yes just use the X to close the box.
    If the box appears again delete the ComboFix folders as instructed in my last post first then try closing the box.

This is embarrasing..I just X'd the box to close it and it says ComboFix is uninstalled. Sorry for the trouble! I thought it was going to run the fix again! Avira was still running and hopefully that won't cause any trouble. Shall I follow the instructions for OTC, etc. or the post regarding creating a new, clean restore point?