Thread: XP Defender Malware is back

Default XP Defender Malware is back

At least one other post today reports a malware that masquerades as a Windows Security Program. It pops up and leads you to a 'phishing' site which fraudulently tries to get credit card info for a fake "anti virus program." This malware shuts down your attempts to access the internet or any other program, including real antivirus software you may be trying to use against it. I dealt with it last year around this time, and I think it has been rewritten in a more virulent form, and has again been released to coincide with the end of the spring college semester when many students are using their computers to finish their semester work.
    I have twice removed it with Spybot, and Microsoft Security Essentials, but it keeps popping up. Last year on my other PC, it took 2 runs of MS Essentials to get rid of it, but this year on my new recycled Dell laptop, it is embedded terribly. MS Essentials took it off once, but it is not recognizing anything is there now.
    I won't send the bug report, as it looks like it may have been reported already. I did run an updated version of Spybot, which suggested I remove problems found, reboot, and run again on reboot. I am going to try again now.

I

Hello,

Please follow the procedure in this link: "BEFORE you POST"(READ this Procedure BEFORE Requesting Assistance)
    Start your own thread in the Malware Removal Forum where a helper will advise you as soon as available.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot