Thread: war59312's Issues With Spybot-S&D 2.0 Beta 1

Cool war59312's Issues With Spybot-S&D 2.0 Beta 1

Hey,

So here are my issues with Spybot-S&D 2.0 Beta 1 so far.

Known issues list anywhere?

Running Spybot-S&D 2.0 Beta 1 on Windows 7 x64 SP1.

1.) When uninstalling.. The "Open Quarantine" & "Open Immunizer" buttons do nothing when clicked.

2.) During install I choose portable install. So why is the "Tray Icon (On-Access Monitor)":

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Spybot - Search & Destroy 2\SDTray.exe"

Add to system startup via reg key:

Code:
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
    "SDTray"="\"C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Spybot - Search & Destroy 2\\SDTray.exe\""
    3.) On uninstall there are two uninstall dialog windows. Yuck! If the user clicks cancel on the first one, then the second is not canceled. You can't even switch to the first one while the second one is on screen (even if you move its window).

4.) No "Immunization" support for Google Chrome?

5.) On uninstall, "C:\Program Files (x86)\Spybot - Search & Destroy 2" folder still exists and contains three files:

Code:
    explorer.exe
    TFNICBNPPNWTWNF.scr
    XRREIPYPVV.scr
    Why?

6.) If the user during the install chooses a portable install then why does the "Select Additional Tasks" screen show up next?

It should not. It's suppose to be portable after all.

7.) Why is a reboot required for a portable install?

8.) The "Select Components" screen should come before the "Select Destination Location" screen.

Why? Because if the user chooses a portable install then the default directory should be the folder where the installer is ran from instead of program files.

9.) Running "File Scan" from the start menu results in two errors:

Code:
    A.) "The ordinal 354 could not be located in the dynamic link library LIBEAY32.dll."

B.) The procedure entry point EVP_md2 could not be located in the dynamic link library LIBEAY32.dll."
    Take Care,

Will

PS: Will start reporting bugs @ http://www.safer-networking.org/en/contact/bugs.html . That page needs work though. At least add a "component" option.

Quote Originally Posted by war59312 View Post
    PS: Will start reporting bugs @ http://www.safer-networking.org/en/contact/bugs.html . That page needs work though. At least add a "component" option.
    A better bug reporting form is in the works. In fact, I wanted to release it together with 2.0 Beta 1, but yesterday evening my local copy of www.safer-networking.org somehow stopped working. So I only changed the old bug reporting page to match our new workflow for this Spybot-S&D release.

There will be a better bug reporting form soon.

daemon

Hello,

Thanks for reporting.
    Your items were reported/inserted in our bugtracker.

Number 4 is intended in this version. A Chrome plugin will be released with a later version, perhaps Beta 3.

The portable version is being/will also be tested in that case.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Quote Originally Posted by daemon View Post
    There will be a better bug reporting form soon.

daemon
    You might want to completely change website IMHO and archive very old articles and stuff (and change font to something else)?

Exclamation

I thought the "Files for a portable installation" option simply meant that you could extract a "Portable Spybot" to put on a USB flash drive, even though Spybot would also be installed on your local computer.

Well, probably entry for uninstaller still stays even if it's portable, but it is still portable I think.

1) is fixed now.

2) the portable installation just includes files that make it possible to run Spybot from a portable drive; it would still be a complete installation. An installer specific just to preparing a stick surely is a good idea, but would have to be something separate.
    Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by PepiMK View Post
    2) the portable installation just includes files that make it possible to run Spybot from a portable drive; it would still be a complete installation. An installer specific just to preparing a stick surely is a good idea, but would have to be something separate.
    I know Safer-Networking has worked with Rare Ideas on making a Portable Spybot installer for the stable version, and maybe a Portable Spybot Beta installer could also be distributed here: http://portableapps.com/apps/security/spybot_portable

Quote Originally Posted by Tom.K View Post
    You might want to completely change website IMHO and archive very old articles and stuff (and change font to something else)?
    Yes, sure, we know there is room for improvement and plan a bigger change for the 2.0 final release.

daemon