Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Warning while running DDS.com

Default Warning while running DDS.com

I'm running XP Pro on the Windows Bootcamp partition of my iMac. Having virus trouble, that's why I'm here..

Following your instructions, I'm running DDS.com, after doing the ERUNT reg backup, and I have CA Internet Security Suite running, configured to fire alerts when "attempts to access monitored items are detected", which I believe is the case here.
    I get this alert
    "1 Program has been blocked"
    C:\Documents and Settings\MyName\Local Settings\Temp\2f.tmp\MBR.D AT

Wants access to:

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\mbr.

Is this DDS asking for something, or bad guys?

http://forums.spybot.info/showthread...221#post404221
    Last edited by tashi; 2011-05-13 at 08:06. Reason: Added link

Emeritus

hi Skipperme,

Try disabling CA Internet Security Suite first and any other "anti this or that" you may have running then run DDS. After you get a DDS log, reboot machine to start your CA Suite back up.
    How Can I Reduce My Risk?

Default Follow on to DDS warning..

Hi, I just recently posted in the Waiting Room because of the 4 day wait and gave the sequence of actions I went through after I posted about the Filter warning you are responding to. I did disable the CA stuff, then tried 3 more times through the ERUNT/DDS sequence. Didn't get anymore warnings, but each time DDS died before it completed, completely killing the machine. No mouse or keyboard response, had to hard reboot. So I haven't gotten a DDS dump yet and await word on much more frigged up things are when DDS won't even run...

I don't want to get too confused with posts all over the place, so let me know what to expect next. As I said, the latest info (basically what I said here) is also in a post in the Waiting Room.

Thanks.

----------------------------
    Edit

Please post to shelf life in this topic.
    Last edited by tashi; 2011-05-18 at 18:23. Reason: Edit

Emeritus

Ive never had DDS not be able to produce a log but that dosnt mean its malware related. Do you have Malwarebytes installed? if not:

Please download the free version of Malwarebytes to your desktop.

Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.

Be sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.

If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.

Once the program has loaded, select Perform FULL SCAN, then click Scan.

When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.

Be sure that everything is checked, and click *Remove Selected.*

*A restart of your computer may be required to remove some items. If prompted please restart your computer to complete the fix.*

When completed, a log will open in Notepad. Please save it to a convenient location. The log can also be opened by going to Start > All Programs > Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware > Logs > log-date.txt

Post the log in your reply.

You could also try running DDS in safe mode. After a reboot and before Windows starts, tap the f8 key and from the list chose the first option: safe mode, log into your usual account, once at the safe mode desktop try running DDS.
    Is CA telling you you have a virus or are you experiencing any signs of malware?

Default Malwarebytes story

Did a scan with CA first, got nothing.

While downloading or installing MWB (don't remember which...)
    Got a CA notification badge popup intrusion warning for "daily drivers update" wanting access. I checked the CA logs and they had trapped some, but not all of some hits from update-drivers.in(80,87,199,48) and some from ebay.com (66.135.200.181) ??
    Earlier in the list were about 5 malwarebytes accesses that were all blocked..
    dunno what that is, but if it helps..

so,

installed Malwarebytes
    When I ran it, I immediately got an error message dlg with the error
    PROGRAM_ERROR_UPDATING(122,0,MultiByteToWideChar) data buffer too small for system call " paraphrased..
    The update dialog had already shown, and this popped up in front.
    clicked okay, the update dialog failed, another malware dlg popped saying things were out of date by 140 days, update?, to which I said yes and got the same error dialog box.
    Dismissed that one and the MWB UI came up.
    Ran the scan, got 2 infections.

Here's the log:
    Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.50.1.1100
    www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: 5363

Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3
    Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.18702

5/19/2011 4:18:46 PM
    mbam-log-2011-05-19 (16-18-46).txt

Scan type: Full scan (C:\|)
    Objects scanned: 245806
    Time elapsed: 54 minute(s), 45 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
    Memory Modules Infected: 0
    Registry Keys Infected: 0
    Registry Values Infected: 0
    Registry Data Items Infected: 0
    Folders Infected: 0
    Files Infected: 2

Memory Processes Infected:
    (No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:
    c:\system volume information\_restore{9d7957d3-95e5-42ab-b935-ca291739717a}\RP9\A0004710.exe (RiskWare.Tool.CK) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
    c:\documents and settings\Don\local settings\Temp\svchost.exe (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Didn't run DDS yet.
    Let me know..
    Thanks.

Emeritus

If malwarebytes is out of date by 140 days it wont do you a whole lot of good.Sometimes malware can cause these type of problems. Can you successfully update your CA suite and any other software you have installed? Can you get to certain websites ok, try going to Windows Update or Avast, AVG etc.

There is a current data base you can manually download and install to MBAM here

Those other messages must be from your CA suite's firewall. You would have to give MBAM the ok to "go out" and get the updates if that whats the prompts are about.

The MBAM log is really of little help being so outdated. See if you can post a traditional HJT log so we have something to go on;
    Version 2.0.4 is here

Default MBAM et al. Logs

Checked my CA suite and it's up to date. While trying to find out how to check the update status, I did a help search and got a "bad script..." error.
    Tried Windows Update. Didn't fly. Tried by doing a search via the Chrome universal wonderful address bar, which took me to Google results, first of which was the link to windowsupdate..etc. Clicked the link and got redirected (which is what got me here in the first place). After a couple of more attempts at it, Chrome crashed, which has been part of the pattern. I've seen other posts of people reporting google redirect and Chrome crashing as well.
    Tried directly accessing windowsupdate.microsoft.com via address bar in both IE(8) and FF(3.6.16), got a blank page in both cases.
    I was able to go directly to both avast.com and avg.com typing directly to the address bar. Searches via google and yahoo got redirected.
    Downloaded the MBAM offline database and ran the installer. Ran MalWareBytes and got "out of date by 15 days" this time. Ran full scan anyway, and it caught 3 things. I said 'fix' and here's the log:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.50.1.1100
    www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: 6516

Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3
    Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.18702

5/21/2011 3:54:51 PM
    mbam-log-2011-05-21 (15-54-51).txt

Scan type: Full scan (C:\|)
    Objects scanned: 253122
    Time elapsed: 51 minute(s), 30 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
    Memory Modules Infected: 0
    Registry Keys Infected: 0
    Registry Values Infected: 1
    Registry Data Items Infected: 0
    Folders Infected: 0
    Files Infected: 2

Memory Processes Infected:

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\messenger.exe (Malware.Gen) -> Value: messenger.exe -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:
    c:\program files\common files\microsoft shared\web components\messenger.exe (Malware.Gen) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
    c:\messenger.exe (Malware.Gen) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Also ran HJT scan, and got this log. I haven't said "analyze this" or "fix" yet. I await your instructions for the next step.

HJT log:
    Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.4
    Scan saved at 4:15:09 PM, on 5/21/2011
    Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v8.00 (8.00.6001.18702)
    Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe
    C:\Program Files\CA\SharedComponents\HIPSEngine\UmxCfg.exe
    C:\Program Files\CA\SharedComponents\HIPSEngine\UmxFwHlp.exe
    C:\Program Files\CA\SharedComponents\HIPSEngine\UmxPol.exe
    C:\Program Files\CA\SharedComponents\HIPSEngine\UmxAgent.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\AppleOSSMgr.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\AppleTimeSrv.exe
    C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
    C:\Program Files\CA\CA Internet Security Suite\CA Anti-Virus Plus\caamsvc.exe
    C:\Program Files\CA\CA Internet Security Suite\CA Anti-Virus Plus\isafe.exe
    C:\Program Files\CA\CA Internet Security Suite\ccschedulersvc.exe
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Shared\sqlwriter.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\mdmcls32.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svcprs32.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    C:\Program Files\CA\CA Internet Security Suite\ccEvtMgr.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\RTHDCPL.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\IRW.exe
    C:\Program Files\CA\CA Internet Security Suite\ccprovsp.exe
    C:\Program Files\Boot Camp\KbdMgr.exe
    C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat 7.0\Distillr\Acrotray.exe
    C:\Program Files\Elaborate Bytes\VirtualCloneDrive\VCDDaemon.exe
    C:\Program Files\CA\CA Internet Security Suite\casc.exe
    C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
    C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
    C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
    C:\Documents and Settings\Don\Desktop\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://search.conduit.com?SearchSour...ctid=CT2504091
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = *.local
    O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
    O2 - BHO: AcroIEHelperStub - {18DF081C-E8AD-4283-A596-FA578C2EBDC3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelperShim.dll
    O2 - BHO: CA Anti-Phishing Toolbar Helper - {45011CF5-E4A9-4F13-9093-F30A784EB9B2} - C:\Program Files\CA\CA Internet Security Suite\CA Anti-Phishing\Toolbar\caIEToolbar.dll
    O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Conversion Toolbar Helper - {AE7CD045-E861-484f-8273-0445EE161910} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat 7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: Adobe PDF - {47833539-D0C5-4125-9FA8-0819E2EAAC93} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat 7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: CA Anti-Phishing Toolbar - {0123B506-0AD9-43AA-B0CF-916C122AD4C5} - C:\Program Files\CA\CA Internet Security Suite\CA Anti-Phishing\Toolbar\caIEToolbar.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BluetoothAuthenticationAgent] rundll32.exe bthprops.cpl,,BluetoothAuthenticationAgent
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RTHDCPL] RTHDCPL.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Alcmtr] ALCMTR.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IRW] C:\WINDOWS\system32\IRW.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Apple_KbdMgr] C:\Program Files\Boot Camp\KbdMgr.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Acrobat Assistant 7.0] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat 7.0\Distillr\Acrotray.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VirtualCloneDrive] "C:\Program Files\Elaborate Bytes\VirtualCloneDrive\VCDDaemon.exe" /s
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe ARM] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\ARM\1.0\AdobeARM.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [cctray] "C:\Program Files\CA\CA Internet Security Suite\casc.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [capfupgrade] C:\Program Files\CA\CA Internet Security Suite\CA Personal Firewall\capfupgrade.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTTask.exe" -atboottime
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Google Update] "C:\Documents and Settings\Don\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe" /c
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
    O4 - Startup: Dropbox.lnk = C:\Documents and Settings\Don\Application Data\Dropbox\bin\Dropbox.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Acrobat Speed Launcher.lnk = ?
    O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Gamma.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert link target to Adobe PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat 7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIECapture.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert link target to existing PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat 7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIEAppend.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert selected links to Adobe PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat 7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIECaptureSelLinks.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert selected links to existing PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat 7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIEAppendSelLinks.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert selection to Adobe PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat 7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIECapture.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert selection to existing PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat 7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIEAppend.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert to Adobe PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat 7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIECapture.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert to existing PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat 7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIEAppend.html
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
    O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - http://fpdownload2.macromedia.com/ge...sh/swflash.cab
    O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: Browseui preloader - {438755C2-A8BA-11D1-B96B-00A0C90312E1} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\browseui.dll
    O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: Component Categories cache daemon - {8C7461EF-2B13-11d2-BE35-3078302C2030} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\browseui.dll
    O23 - Service: Adobe LM Service - Adobe Systems - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe Systems Shared\Service\Adobelmsvc.exe
    O23 - Service: Apple Mobile Device - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
    O23 - Service: Apple OS Switch Manager (AppleOSSMgr) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\AppleOSSMgr.exe
    O23 - Service: Apple Time Service (AppleTimeSrv) - Apple Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\AppleTimeSrv.exe
    O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - ATI Technologies Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
    O23 - Service: ATI Smart - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ati2sgag.exe
    O23 - Service: Bonjour Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
    O23 - Service: CAAMSvc - CA - C:\Program Files\CA\CA Internet Security Suite\CA Anti-Virus Plus\caamsvc.exe
    O23 - Service: CaCCProvSP - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\CA\CA Internet Security Suite\ccprovsp.exe
    O23 - Service: CAISafe - Computer Associates International, Inc. - C:\Program Files\CA\CA Internet Security Suite\CA Anti-Virus Plus\isafe.exe
    O23 - Service: CA Common Scheduler Service (ccSchedulerSVC) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\CA\CA Internet Security Suite\ccschedulersvc.exe
    O23 - Service: FLEXnet Licensing Service - Acresso Software Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Macrovision Shared\FLEXnet Publisher\FNPLicensingService.exe
    O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
    O23 - Service: McAfee Security Scan Component Host Service (McComponentHostService) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\Program Files\McAfee Security Scan\2.0.181\McCHSvc.exe
    O23 - Service: HIPS Event Manager (UmxAgent) - CA - C:\Program Files\CA\SharedComponents\HIPSEngine\UmxAgent.exe
    O23 - Service: HIPS Configuration Interpreter (UmxCfg) - CA - C:\Program Files\CA\SharedComponents\HIPSEngine\UmxCfg.exe
    O23 - Service: HIPS Firewall Helper (UmxFwHlp) - CA - C:\Program Files\CA\SharedComponents\HIPSEngine\UmxFwHlp.exe
    O23 - Service: HIPS Policy Manager (UmxPol) - CA - C:\Program Files\CA\SharedComponents\HIPSEngine\UmxPol.exe
    O23 - Service: WeFi Engine Service (WefiEngSvc) - WeFi - C:\Program Files\WeFi\WefiEngSvc.exe
    O23 - Service: WinSock Extention Manager (WinExtManager) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\mdmcls32.exe
    O23 - Service: WinSock Svchost Manager (WinSvchostManager) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\svcprs32.exe

--
    End of file - 9872 bytes

Emeritus

ok. Lets try tdsskiller first and see if it digs up anything:

Please download TDSS Killer.exe and save it to your desktop
    Double click to launch the utility. Vista and Windows 7 right click as "run as admin.." After it initializes click the start scan button.

"The utility will automatically select an action (Cure or Delete) for known malcious objects. A suspicious object will be skipped by default."

If an infected file is detected, the default action will be Cure, click on Continue.

If a suspicious file is detected, the default action will be Skip, click on Continue.

It may ask you to reboot the computer to complete the process. Click on Reboot Now.
    If no reboot is require, click on Report. A log file should appear. Please copy and paste the contents of that file here.

Next you can use combofix. There is a guide to read first. Read through the guide then apply the directions on your own machine.

Guide to using Combofix Post the log in your reply

Default Leftovers of HJT

Thanks.. First want to check. I left HJT running after I sent the log. It's still at post scan "analyze this/fix that" decision point. Should I just close it out and move on? From what you say to do next, I'm thinking so, but I want to check before moving on.

thanks

Emeritus

Yes you can just close it out.