Thread: Usage question

Default Usage question

I cannot find a specific sub forum for general Spybot user questions. If this is the incorrect location, kindly point the right direction.

Windows 7 -- current version Spybot

Application set to advanced. Scheduled to check at 1 p.m. daily. Set to download new stuff + immunize after same.

Question: I get a rectangular dialogue box stating Warning in the upper left with the following text: "Please select some update files from the list" with an Okay at the bottom right.

That 'list' from which I'm supposed to select is never present. I press Okay, the box goes away and that's that. Where's the list? If never a list, why the box with the 'Okay?'

Mark

This is the right forum.

There's a beta file available that should fix that:
    http://forums.spybot.info/downloads.php?id=51
    The instructions are listed at the top:
    To use this beta file, extract the downloaded archive into the main application folder (usually C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\).
    Please let me know how it goes.

Disaster result in short. Machine is Win7 sp1

I did as you suggested installing in the Spybot directory. As part of the install updates were had. However, the problem initially referred to persisted. I uninstalled the software. I downloaded and installed the beta 2 all in one. The program would not load. I rebooted. The program would not load. I attempted to uninstall, it would not. Along the way file explorer was damaged and would not run. Regardless of boots explorer would not run and the system became unstable. I did a sys restore and am now okay. I will try changing the setting to manual updates and see if that works on my original Spybot install. If not, I'll uninstall it pending a new stable version.

Mark

I'm sorry to hear that.
    There is something else you can try,so long as you have Spybot 1.6.2.46.
    Try going to C:\Program Files\ Spybot - Search & Destroy\,and rightclick SDUpdate.exe,and go to Properties.Click the compatibility tab,and put a checkmark in front of "Run this program in compatibility mode for",and select "WindowsXP" from the drop down menu,then click Apply,and OK.

If unable to view SDUpdate.exe,please show hidden files and folders.
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...torial151.html

I always have file explorer set to the defaults to which your html file points. However, the only alternative run option I have on the right click menu is run as admin.

I have found that I can run the update manually from the left panel of Spybot's home screen. I have added 'check for beta's' to my settings and will keep trying as beta's become available.

Thanks,

Mark

I'm not sure I follow.....what .html file?

The tutorial link you included in your earlier message-

Mark

Ok,gotcha.
    There is no Properties available on the SDUpdate.exe file?