Thread: 1.3 uninstall problem

Default 1.3 uninstall problem

I installed Spybot version 1.3 a long time ago. Now I need to remove it to install the Trend-Micro anti-virus program.

When I try to run uninstall it gives me the message:
    The uninstall log file “C:\Program Files\Spybot – Search & Destroy\unins000.dat” is in a format not recognized by this version of the uninstaller. Cannot uninstall.

Originally I downloaded Spybot with Windows ’95. Now I am running XP. I have tried to adjust compatibility for this and still no uninstall.

Is it possible that the original Spybot was downloaded to a portable drive (e.g. Zipp) and now uninstall is looking for something from D: drive?

Is there a tool to remove the older version regardless and make all of this moot?

Hello badger1066

Quote Originally Posted by badger1066 View Post
    I installed Spybot version 1.3 a long time ago. Now I need to remove it to install the Trend-Micro anti-virus program.
    Spybot-S&D version 1.3 hasn't been supported in years, we are up to version 1.6.2. and a 2.0 Beta. Also, although one should run only one anti virus program Spybot-S&D is not an AV. The application searches for spyware, malware, adware, trojans, hijackers and keyloggers.

Originally I downloaded Spybot with Windows ’95. Now I am running XP. I have tried to adjust compatibility for this and still no uninstall.
    A little confused here, XP on a Windows 95 machine?

Best regards,
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

Trend-Micro (Titanium Internet Security) will not allow me to install their anti-virus program until I have specifically uninstalled Spybot. The 1.3 version has been sitting unused on the hard drive for a long time.

Anyway I try to uninstall I get the message:
    The uninstall log file “C:\Program Files\Spybot – Search & Destroy\unins000.dat” is in a format not recognized by this version of the uninstaller. Cannot uninstall.

Until I get Spybot off my hard drive I cannot install the anti-virus software. Even though there is no support per se for the ancient 1.3 version is there a tool or technique to accomplish this uninstall?

Hello badger1066,
    Is it possible that the original Spybot was downloaded to a portable drive (e.g. Zipp) and now uninstall is looking for something from D: drive?
    No idea so the more details the better.
    Quote Originally Posted by tashi View Post
    A little confused here, XP on a Windows 95 machine?
    -------------------------------------------------
    Even though there is no support per se for the ancient 1.3 version is there a tool or technique to accomplish this uninstall?
    http://www.safer-networking.org/en/howto/uninstall.html

Hope that helps.
    -------------------------------------------------
    Trend-Micro (Titanium Internet Security) will not allow me to install their anti-virus program until I have specifically uninstalled Spybot.
    FYI: Spybot Search & Destroy competitors are trying to force its removal
    http://www.betanews.com/article/Spyb...val/1237840882

Best regards.

Default How to uninstall

I have removed "C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\" and "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\" as per How to uninstall from Spybot.

Still the Trend-Micro install is telling that I must remove Spybot and won't go any further.

What now?

Hello,

Normally there should be no conflict between Spybot - Search & Destroy and TrendMicro and you should be able to use both programs together. The problem is that TrendMicro seems to destroy the normal uninstall function of Spybot and hence it can produce several errors if you want to remove Spybot on your own. That's the fault of TrendMicro and you should complain to them about it.

So if the usual uninstall does not work I would suggest to make a fresh install of Spybot, so that you have the legitimate uninstall file.
    Download from this link.
    Then try again to remove it via the add/remove panel in windows or by using the uninstall file in the Spybot folder.

In order to completely uninstall Spybot - Search & Destroy, please consider the following link.

If this does not help please remove the folder by hand:
    C:\Programs\Spybot - Search & Destroy

Also remove the following directories, which you will have to remove by hand:

* Windows 95 or 98: C:\Windows\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\
    * Windows ME: C:\Windows\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\
    * Windows NT, 2000 or XP: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\
    * Windows Vista: C:\Program Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\

Please note that the Application Data Folder is hidden. So if you can't find this folder please check your folder properties.
    We are not happy with the new marketing strategy that software like
    TrendMicro use to kick competitors out of the business.
    Please do also have a look at this link on our homepage.

We recommend a fresh install of Spybot - Search & Destroy.

You will find links to several download locations on our website.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Default complete uninstall not effective

Hello Sandra:

I didcompletely uninstall Spybot according to your How To Uninstall link. And stillTrend-Micro says that Spybot is on my computer and must be removed.

This was the ancient 1.3 version. If I download the latest version and uninstall will that also remove the last traces of the 1.3 software?

Hello badger1066,
    If I download the latest version and uninstall will that also remove the last traces of the 1.3 software?
    Possibly, however...

Quote Originally Posted by spybotsandra View Post
    The problem is that TrendMicro seems to destroy the normal uninstall function of Spybot and hence it can produce several errors if you want to remove Spybot on your own. That's the fault of TrendMicro and you should complain to them about it.
    Best regards.

Default unsuccessful download

When I visit your Downloads site and try to obtain the file SpybotSD-Remove_Traces.zip I am told:

“You don't have permission to access /files/dotreg/SpybotSD-Remove_Traces.zip on this server.”

What am I doing wrong?

Hello,

You mean this one?

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot