Thread: New to Spybot S&D, encountered Problems :( Please help.

Wink New to Spybot S&D, encountered Problems :( Please help.

A friend recommended I use Spybot to keep my computer running clean & updated, and shared how donations are accepted, etc. I'm not a computer genius, but seem to do pretty well. I completed the tutorial, and as recommended immunized before doing the system scan. Everything went great last month. My computer ran better than it ever has. Yesterday, I performed a scan and approx. 8 "RED" attacks were shown. I selected remove threats when it finished. Now my entire desktop is changed, almost all of my programs are not visible upon selecting "all programs"; I can't find my defragmentation or other system tools, etc. It's all totally changed, although I can get online. I went to "restore" and selected all the items removed yesterday, and it will not allow me to restore. I must have done something wrong, as S&D worked wonderfully the first time I used it. I found it very easy to use.

If someone can give me some advice in "layman's terms", I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks so much for your help. Tracy

Hello.
    It might be helpful to see what Spybot fixed,so could you open Spybot,click Mode up top,select Advanced mode,(if a warning window comes up,please select "Yes"),then click Tools,View Reports,then click View Previous Reports.

The Spybot logfiles are dated(Checks.yymmdd-hhmm or Fixes.yymmdd-hhmm).Please select the Spybot Fixes logfile with the date from yesterday and doubleclick it.It should open in the Spybot window.Rightclick somewhere in that window,and select "Select All".Then rightclick again,select Copy,then Paste the logfile here in a reply.

Default New to Spybot S&D, encountered problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenobia View Post
    Hello.
    It might be helpful to see what Spybot fixed,so could you open Spybot,click Mode up top,select Advanced mode,(if a warning window comes up,please select "Yes"),then click Tools,View Reports,then click View Previous Reports.

The Spybot logfiles are dated(Checks.yymmdd-hhmm or Fixes.yymmdd-hhmm).Please select the Spybot Fixes logfile with the date from yesterday and doubleclick it.It should open in the Spybot window.Rightclick somewhere in that window,and select "Select All".Then rightclick again,select Copy,then Paste the logfile here in a reply.
    I responded with the files, in the email I recieved from you. I hope you get my response. I didn't realize I could respond directly to the forum. Would that be safe to list all that information on a public forum ? I wasn't sure and wanted to be careful. Thanks so much for your help

I didn't send you an email.It must have been one from someone on Team Spybot,maybe?

Hi Zenobia.. I'm new so I assumed the email was from you. It probably was from team spybot, sending along your post to my thread from 6/7/11 in the form of an email. If you can help, I'd really appreciate it. Tracy

If you're receiving help via email from a Team Spybot member,then it's best if you stick with that,so things don't become confusing.Good luck.

Hi Zenobia and tikigirl,

It does appear tikigirl may be subscribed to this topic and once receiving notification that Zenobia had posted a response instead of replying in topic tikigirl has then forwarded that notification email to the Team.

Along with her response and the log/s you requested to be posted into this thread.

Subscriptions Members can keep track of their threads and choose how to be notified about updates.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

Default Thanks Tashi

Quote Originally Posted by tashi View Post
    Hi Zenobia and tikigirl,

It does appear tikigirl may be subscribed to this topic and once receiving notification that Zenobia had posted a response instead of replying in topic tikigirl has then forwarded that notification email to the Team.

Along with her response and the log/s you requested to be posted into this thread.

Subscriptions Members can keep track of their threads and choose how to be notified about updates.
    Yes, Tashi, you have everything correct....I requested getting notifications when someone posts a response to my question. I am just getting used to the site and who is who (Team Spybot members), etc. Did you or another team member receive the log information I accidently sent via email to the team (thinking it was going to Zenobia) ? I really hope someone can help me with my problem, Team Spybot or Zenobia. Thanks very much for your help (and patience). Sincerely

Hello tikigirl,
    Quote Originally Posted by tikigirl View Post
    Yes, Tashi, you have everything correct....I requested getting notifications when someone posts a response to my question. I am just getting used to the site and who is who (Team Spybot members), etc. Did you or another team member receive the log information I accidently sent via email to the team (thinking it was going to Zenobia) ? I really hope someone can help me with my problem, Team Spybot or Zenobia. Thanks very much for your help (and patience). Sincerely
    As we receive a lot of mail, it might be best to follow through in this topic please.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenobia View Post
    Hello.

Cheers.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

Aha,gotcha.Thanks,tashi.

Hi,tikigirl.
    There shouldn't be anything personally identifiable in a Spybot log,so it's safe to post it here.