Thread: Spybot 2.0.3 Beta on Windows xp Home ED

Default Spybot 2.0.3 Beta on Windows xp Home ED

Running the beta on a clients Windows Xp home edition and I cant start Windows Sercuity Intergration the on access monitor or the file scanner at all. I hit start it sits there for amoment frozen and then just does nothing. I can use the program after the moment is up tho. I managed to remove a number of viruses with this from the machine and I am glad for that as even Mirosoft Sercurity Essentials wasnt able to find them and they were stopping me from doing any work on the laptop at all. the laptop has very low system specs as well so I cant do much on it without over steeping something and having the system crash on me. The system only has 256 megs of ram and part of that is set aside for the Intel IGP so it has less then 256 to work with. The cpu is fine tho. I am glad I was able to get this working fine tho. I am going to tell the client they really need to get more ram intho the machine so that it works better for them.

Well, as you had several viruses i would recommend to reinstall the whole system. Cause Spybot S&D 2 Beta 1 hasn't such a good detection rate, so you might still have malware. And these viruses may already destroyed some system components (as S&D services won't start up f.e.).

I would recommend to use Malwarebytes AV, Super Anti Spyware, Comodo Cleaning Essentials, Hitman, Emisoft Antimalware for real malware scanning and run HiJackThis or RIST for a log btw.

And what do you mean with "use the program after the moment is up tho"

Edit
    http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.p...05&postcount=2
    Last edited by tashi; 2011-06-23 at 22:15. Reason: Added link to sticky

Go into safe mode with networking. Download and install Malwarebytes Anti Malware and do a full system scan. I'm using Malwarebytes and Spybot as my on-demand scanners, and they're doing great. By the way, Malwarebytes is NOT an anti virus program.

You should maximum use two real time scanners on your computer, the anti virus one and the anti-malware one. The anti-malware programs are built for running along side with your anti virus program.

Since you've already ran a scan with Spybot, I would also recommend you to run a scan with Malwarebytes, Comodo Cleaning Essentials and Superantispyware. Eventually, you can run a scan with Hitman Pro, but keep in mind, this is a paid software, hence you can't delete the malware.

I am still getting a BSOD with stop error 50 every once in a while. I can run windows fine in normal mode. I was talking about the program freezing up for a moment aand once the moment was up the program becomes responsive again and I can mess with it but every time I try to start those it becomes unresponsive for a moment again. I will try running Malwarebytes and see if it comes up with anything.

Ok adding more ram to the laptop helped with the starting of services as now the one one I can not start is the Windows Security Center integration. Which I dont think is even needed. So thats good to know. I replaced the 256mb stick with a 512mb one and now there is 504mb dedicated to windows as 8 is dedicated to the IGP

Hello Topken,

FYI: http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=63183

Best regards.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016