Thread: Updating hangs on Spybot Beta 2, but updates

Default Updating hangs on Spybot Beta 2, but updates

So I download Beta 2 today, installed it as portable (as I don't want any other protection besides manual scanning), clicked on tray icon > Update and that's it. It hangs. I've waited 5 minutes to finish downloading the updates, but to no avail, had to terminate it through Task manager.
    However when I checked the updates again, I've found that it really updated the definition files.

Using it on Win7 Professional 32 bit.

Angry Does NOT actually update using XP Pro

Same experience with update hanging. However, I have a meter showing tcp/ip activity and there is none, so it is NOT updating and the program banner at the top shows version 2.0.4.131 and below that in bold "No update attempt registered! and below that Database size ???.

If yours really did update, I thrilled for you but that isn't my experience.

Hello,

Thank you very much for providing feedback towards our Spybot 2.0. Beta.

We will try to reproduce the problem and will try to fix it.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Cool

Yep... When I open the start center, there is a message at the top that says, "No update attempt registered!" I assume that is a bad thing. I looked in help to find out how to manually update. There is no information. Can someone give me a hand with this? It would be much appreciated.

Best regards,

Quote Originally Posted by doggerel_king View Post
    I looked in help to find out how to manually update. There is no information. Can someone give me a hand with this? It would be much appreciated.
    See http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.p...50&postcount=3

Angry No updates, system problems.

The program also froze my machine! It froze google's Chrome browser!

When I tried to update no luck despite a dozen attempts. Also; do I need to turn off my firewall (zonealarm) to make Spybot 2 work? Also turn off my anti-virus (avast 6)? This is a complicated program that refuses to update and affects many other parts of windows..couldn't open MS's Add/Remove programs even! Spybot 2 needs way more work, it will not update and seems to screw with the system.

What do I need to turn off to make Spybot 2 work? All my computer's protection? Who will do that for some spybot "anti-virus" which it says it has, but gives zero information on this very important point! Does it have a working firewall or not? No information about a possible firewall is given, it's a program with no information!
    Last edited by firefox007; 2011-08-03 at 23:39. Reason: this system is too buggy to be put out.

Angry Spybot "anti-virus" & "firewall"...does spybot have these things

Does Spybot 2 have a real anti-virus system, and a firewall? If so where are the controls for these, and do I have to shut down my protective systems to make spybot 2 work, it also will not update!

Hello,

I am sorry, we will improve that.
    The firewall in Spybot 2.0 is "no real firewall". The SDFirewallService is something like the backbone of a firewall, which is currently used in IE, Chrome and Firefox plugins. There's no appliance for firewall use yet.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot