Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How much will Spybot Search & Destroy 2 - Cost?

How about a clearer question.....

Why does the 'free for private use' version keep expiring and force re-installation of the 'free for private use' version for continued use?

Hello,

Because the Spybot-S&D 2.0 that is currently out now is NO FINAL version yet, it is a RELEASE CANDIDATE.

The reason your license will expire is the fact that we did release a Professional version of Spybot-S&D 2.0 for testing that would usually need to be purchased. So this testing version has a time limitation.
    But don't worry we are still providing (and will continue to provide) a fully functioning free version of Spybot - Search & Destroy. All precious features like scanning, fixing and passive protection features such as the immunization will still be available. Of course shredding files is an essential part of the free version as well. Separate scans for Rootkits or single file scans are also part of Spybot - Search & Destroy 2.0 Free Edition. The new licensing scheme is to make distribution to our professional users easier for us. Some features, like support for networked environments, boot CD creation and more - features that the average user may not require, will be available to licensed users. While Spybot 2 has not reached final state, we will of course provide a license for testing free of charge, registration will not be required. As always, users of the free edition won't have to register even in the future.

Nevertheless this pre-release is still intended for testing purposes only. If you do not want to help with testing and by reporting bugs, please just continue using our tried-and-tested stable release Spybot-S&D 1.6.2.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Default Will the new version of Spybot be free?

Hello,

I know that Spybot S & D has always been free for private home use, but I'm confused about the new version. Will it be free as well (for private home use), or will a license need to be purchased?

Quote Originally Posted by spybotsandra View Post

Spybot-Search & Destroy 2.0 will still be freeware for private use.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot
    Hello, Sandra.

In your above comment, you stated, "Spybot-Search & Destroy 2.0 will still be freeware for private use."

If that's true, then why does the below link seem to indicate otherwise?

http://www.safer-networking.org/personal/purchase/

The page shown in the above link clearly shows that a fee is being charged, and as indicated by the big red bubble around the word Private at the top of the page, it's obvious that I'm looking at the correct section for private home use. So if it's free for private home use, as you stated, why is there a charge?

Maybe it helps if you re-read what I wrote.

All precious features like scanning, fixing and passive protection features such as the immunization will still be available. Of course shredding files is an essential part of the free version as well. Separate scans for Rootkits or single file scans are also part of Spybot - Search & Destroy 2.0 Free Edition.

Some features, like support for networked environments, boot CD creation and more - features that the average user may not require, will be available to licensed users.

Default idiots

LMAO.

Sorry I just had to reply to laugh at those posts made by those ......
    Last edited by tashi; 2012-11-14 at 18:37. Reason: Removed naughty word. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Bones81 View Post
    LMAO.

Sorry I just had to reply to laugh at those posts made by those ......
    Hey, Bones.

I'm sure that I'm one of "those [people]" that you're referring to, but hey, I'm not the one who made the web page in question so confusing.

Maybe it helps if you re-read what I wrote.
    Hi, Sandra.

Thanks for dropping in and trying to explain. And just so you know, I did read everything that you wrote (in fact, I read all of it several times) before I posted my question, and I just re-read it all again — and I'm still confused about some things.

Please take no offense at my following criticism, but I think it might be good if you tried explaining the situation a little better. And the web page in question (this one: http://www.safer-networking.org/personal/purchase/) is in need of a major rewrite to be made more clear.

For example, here are some of the confusing points: You said, "All precious features like scanning, fixing and passive protection features such as the immunization will still be available. Of course shredding files is an essential part of the free version as well. Separate scans for Rootkits or single file scans are also part of Spybot - Search & Destroy 2.0 Free Edition. Some features, like support for networked environments, boot CD creation and more - features that the average user may not require, will be available to licensed users.

Okay, that seems to be clear enough. Spybot S & D 2.0 will eventually be made available in two versions: a free version for private home-users, and a licensed professional version with additional features. I understand that.

However, what I don't understand are the following two things:

1.) When I click the link ( http://www.safer-networking.org/ ) for the free version, it takes me to the professional version (the version in which there will be a charge for the license). This is extremely confusing, and it gives the impression that there will be no free version of Spybot S & D 2.0 (only the professional version) since there is no mention of the free version — nor is there any option to download and try the release candidate of the free version, either. The site is giving the impression that there isn't a free version of Spybot S & D 2.0, and unless someone comes here to the forums for more info, they will certainly be led to believe that's the case. In other words, the wording on the site could be scaring away many potential future users of Spybot S & D 2.0.

2.) And this is even more confusing: On this page here ( http://www.safer-networking.org/personal/purchase/ ), on the right side of the page, it says, "Spybot 2.0 Professional Edition is for private use only. If this is not for private use, please click here."

Well, what's so confusing to many people, including me, is that the free version is the one that's supposed to be for private home-use, and the Professional Edition is supposed to be for, well, professionals. But the wording on the above page seems to say otherwise — as it appears to be describing the Professional Edition as being the one that's for private home-use. And once again, it gives the impression that there will be no free version.

Do you see what I mean, and do you see how confusing that is?

I'm sure that most people visiting your main site are not coming to the forums for more information, and to them (the majority of your users), you are giving them the wrong impression — since it appears that Spybot S & D 2.0 is only going to be available in the professional version (for which there will be a charge) — since no mention is made of the free version.

That needs to be fixed.
    Last edited by Johnny Sokko; 2012-11-16 at 04:10.

Hello,

If you click on the link for the free version you will be taken to the download page.
    If you scroll down a little bit you can download the actual free version here.

If you want to test the Release Candidate you can choose the tab "Beta Software" on the Download page and download it here.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Helloo,

It is true that there are several page that talks about the same thing but in different words and it is not really clear!

http://www.safer-networking.org/personal/free-download/

http://www.safer-networking.org/dl/

you just rewrite your program, would be good to see the layout of your site that has been redone but not clearly

Benoit