Thread: Running Spybot from USB Drive

Default Running Spybot from USB Drive

I'm going to be a computer tech next year at my college and I don't want to install Spybot everytime I want to use it. Is there a way to make it run from a USB Thumb Drive to scan the computers drives?

I tried just copying the files over to my thumb drive, but it keeps telling me there are no threats and gets done really quickly so I'm assuming it's only scanning my Thumb Drive. How can I make it scan the computer?

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

philbar:

You are going to have to be a little more explicit about the files you copied, whether or not the system that were scanning already had Soybot installed, what scan status bar said during the scan (the yyyyy value in the Scan Status description below), etc.

Scan Status:
    • During the running of a Spybot scan ("Check for problems") the status bar in the lower left hand corner of the screen shows the following:
      • "Running bot-check(xxxxx/yyyyy:zzzzzz)" where:
        • xxxxx = Current check count.
        • yyyyy = Total check count.
        • zzzzz = Malware check being performed.

I just tried it. I successfully ran Spybot from a USB flash drive without any noted problems. I copied the following folder to the flash drive:
    • C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy

I then did the following to simulate running on a system without Spybot installed;
    1. Renamed the C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy folder.
    2. Renamed the C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy folder.
    3. Deleted the following registry key:
      • [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\PepiMK Software\SpybotSnD]

I then executed SpybotSD.exe from the flash drive. After loading Spybot executed a portion (Steps 3, 5, 6 and 7) of the installation wizard. I hit "Next" on Steps 3, 5, and 6. On Step 7 of 7 I clicked "Start using the program".

I then did a "Check for problems" which appears to have run normally. Incidentally the yyyyy value of the Scan Status (as explained above) was 45178 which is the same value as when running a "Spyware only check" from my C: drive.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.