Thread: Can't Boot into Spybot CD

Angry Can't Boot into Spybot CD

Help!

My wife's PC experienced a strange popup while she was surfing the Web, and now she can't open her Norton Internet Security to check that everything's OK.

I tried running the SS&D live CD in order to do a malware scan from outside her Windows, but the CD is not loading on her computer!?

Some details: It's a Windows 7 64-bit system, and yes, the CD drive is set in BIOS as the first boot device. Also, I know that the CD does work because I've run it several times on my Vista x64 PC.

Any ideas? Suggestions?

--JorgeA
    Last edited by JorgeA; 2011-07-04 at 17:44. Reason: more details

Well, we finally solved it.

After hitting "ESC" in the boot screen to get to the Boot Menu, I would select the DVD-RAM drive, then press ENTER. So far, so good. The problem was that then there followed a one-line screen asking me to click Y if I did want to boot from the DVD drive -- and it flashed past so quickly that by the time I read what it said, let alone got to hit Y, the computer had already moved on to loading Windows. I guess that's one drawback of a faster CPU.

(Side question: If I have already entered the Boot Menu and indicated that I want to boot from the DVD drive, then why in heaven's name does it even ask me whether I want to boot from the DVD??? I already told it that that's what I want.)

I finally defeated the PC's scheme to prevent me from booting the CD, by starting to click Y repeatedly as soon as the Boot Menu disappeared. Only then was I able to get the familiar Spybot Windows PE screen.

--JorgeA
    Last edited by JorgeA; 2011-07-04 at 22:49. Reason: typo