Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spybot 1.6.2 & Firefox 3.6.22

Default Spybot 1.6.2 & Firefox 3.6.22

I use Spybot 1.6.2 for system reasons, and I wondered if it can be configured to block bad pages silently using the Tea Timer like it does for Internet Explorer? when that option is ticked of course.

Hello.
    Resident sdhelper.exe is separate from Teatimer.There's a description of it listed here in the second paragraph:
    http://www.safer-networking.org/en/p..._resident.html

sdhelper can't be configured to block pages silently with Firefox,it isn't available for that browser.

However,if you've immunized Firefox,that will help to protect Firefox.

As an aside,there's a newer version of Firefox available,Firefox 6.0.2,if you'd like to check for downloads:
    https://developer.mozilla.org/devnew...now-available/

Thanks for the info, I can only use the Firefox version 3.6 due to operating system.

I have already immunised, and I have supplied an image here, can you tell me please if the figures look correct as I wondered why there are so many unprotected?

I have Firefox that I use as the default browser and also have I.E but don't use that very often.

You are running Windows 98?

No,those figures don't look correct.A lot are still unimmunized.
    You could try reimmunizing the unprotected items.
    Open Spybot,click Immunize.Uncheck the first 3 items listed in the window to the right,since those are already immunized,and leave the checkmarks beside everything else.Then click the Immunize button up top,with the green cross beside it,and see if it will immunize those items.

Please let me know how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenobia View Post
    You are running Windows 98?
    Yes.

No,those figures don't look correct.A lot are still unimmunized.
    You could try reimmunizing the unprotected items.
    Open Spybot,click Immunize.Uncheck the first 3 items listed in the window to the right,since those are already immunized,and leave the checkmarks beside everything else.Then click the Immunize button up top,with the green cross beside it,and see if it will immunize those items.
    Just tried that, and all that happens is the small grey bricks on the right build up and up but nothing else happens and the windows progress bar doesn't even move.

I then have to alt-ctrl-del as it then won't close normally.
    Last edited by poppylove; 2011-09-21 at 11:20.

Do you think the Spybot portable will help? I have downloaded it and put it on a USB stick, I was about to open it and try it from there, but I was unsure which folder to install to as the one that appears in the window doesn't work, it seems like I need to pick a folder on my computer, is that right?

Should I be installing the portable in the USB drive or on my PC? do you think it will make a difference installing this to help with the immunise problem?

Update. I have installed spybot on the USB drive and ran it from there and the immunise is still the same.

Sorry,I'm not familiar with portable Spybot,I've never used it yet.

I do remember having problems Immunizing the (Popups) part of Firefox immunization a long while back.If I remember it correctly,it hung on that,pretty much the way you described.So,maybe you could give this a try:
    Open Spybot,click Immunize.In the window to the right,rightclick,and select "deselect all."Then,put a checkmark beside Global(Hosts),and then click the Immunize button up top,with the green cross beside it.See if Spybot will Immunize just the one item.If it hangs,just leave it for a little bit,maximum about 10 minutes.Please let me know how that goes.

Sorry,I'm not familiar with portable Spybot,I've never used it yet.

I do remember having problems Immunizing the (Popups) part of Firefox immunization a long while back.If I remember it correctly,it hung on that,pretty much the way you described.So,maybe you could give this a try:
    Open Spybot,click Immunize.In the window to the right,rightclick,and select "deselect all."Then,put a checkmark beside Global(Hosts),and then click the Immunize button up top,with the green cross beside it.See if Spybot will Immunize just the one item.If it hangs,just leave it for a little bit,maximum about 10 minutes.Please let me know how that goes.
    Just got your message, will try that and will report back later, thanks.

Ok, I done as you requested, but I went a bit further and did them all one by one, and they all got immunised apart from the Popups and it just hang on that part.

I started with the global hosts and worked my way up, so all that isn't protected is the 15075 for the popups.

Is there anyway round this or is it a bug? is it anything to be concerned about?

EDIT, as I was typing I checked again and it protected the popups apart from one, but am I right that is because I had the browser open at the time?
    Last edited by poppylove; 2011-09-22 at 00:23.