Thread: SDFSSvc.exe using 25% of my CPU

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default SDFSSvc.exe using 25% of my CPU

Hello there,

I was looking at my resource monitor yesterday and noticed my CPU usage was unusually high. With an idle computer it was at 25%. I have an i3 processor and I don't think that it should be that high when idle. Running Windows 7 x64 and Spybot Search and Destroy 2.

When I checked the running processes I was surprised to find that the SDFSSvc.exe was the one shooting the CPU usage to the roof. As far as I understand, that's the Spybot scan service that gives you live protection (not the on demand scan.) I do not recall Spybot ever using so much CPU. When I turned it off, the usage went to the normal 4% or so when idle (well it fluctuated obviously when I tabbed around, opened browsers etc.)

Is there a way to fix this issue? I run some heavy games, such as Dragon Age, Crysis 2, etc., and design software like the Adobe CS. I really don't want 1/4 of my CPU to be taken up by a background service, it defeats the purpose. It's like you don't allow malware to overwork my computer but the program that should counter that is just as "bad" in terms of resource usage.

It's the first time I have had complaints about Spybot, it's always been my favourite anti-spyware. Any ideas?

Full specs:

Windows 7 Home Premium SP 1 64 bit
    Acer Aspire laptop with an Intel i3
    4GB RAM
    Last edited by Xariann; 2011-09-21 at 15:48.