Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spybot incompatible with Avira antivirus.

Exclamation Spybot incompatible with Avira antivirus.

Hello,

For a long time (years?) Avira have been denouncing Spybot S&D as incompatible with their Antivirus and advising that, at least, the realtime components of Spybot be disabled. Is any progress being made to address this?

The latest installer for the Avira Antivir program actually states that Spybot S&D should be uninstalled.

Considering the length of time this has been going on, and the (apparent) lack of any attempt between Safer Networking and Avira to reconcile the differences, the latest action from Avira is starting to look like "corporate warfare", or something.

Hello,

Thanks for reporting.
    We have contacted Avira about this issue and are looking forward what they have to say.
    From our point of view there should not be any problems with the compatibility.
    If some parts would conflict, just those parts could be disabled.
    There is no need to uninstall Spybot-S&D.
    If you already have uninstalled it due to Avira we recommend a reinstall.

If you are still in the setup of installing Avira Premium 2012 you can skip the step of uninstalling Spybot-S&D by clicking the "Next" button.
    Similar incompatibilities have been reported by McAfee and Kaspersky which you can see here.

Best greads
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Default alternatives ?

which anti-virus software would you recommend, if avira2012 really is incompatible with spybot?

should be a product that concentrates on virus checking, without bloated-up features that are only partly - or over - effective.

You could try Avast or AVG ...

Arrow incompatible ???

I'm very astonished to hear that Avira was telling, it should be NOT compatible with Spybot SD, because I'm using both programs since years (could be 10 years perhaps) and been very satisfied!!!
    Although I have to say, that I never turned on Spybot's realtime protection, because of an old computer with really poor resources
    I will report about the new version of Avira AND Spybot in a week or so.

PS: PLZ forgive my lousy english, I'm not a nativ speaker

Best regards, Rick

Default Well - I have never used Avira and so far so good

Nod32, AVG, Avast - they all work well with such antispyware as search and destroy. Besides, AVG and Avast are better and more efficient at finding viruses than Avira, their support and information base is much more advanced. AVG has a phishing filter installed which is useful for browsing unfamiliar sites. Avira might use less system resources, but it all comes down to safety, isn't it?

Default Avira 12 incompatible?

Without using the realtime protection 'TeaTimer', there are NO problems using Avira 12 and Spybot-SD together !

Enabled TeaTimer I didn't test, because I use Microsoft IE only for MS-Updates

We know, that's actually the first post of this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty12345 View Post

The latest installer for the Avira Antivir program actually states that Spybot S&D should be uninstalled.

Default Teatimer and Avira

I have used Avira up till v.10 with Teatimer enabled. Never had any issues.
    Since Teatimer can detect (and prevent) changes to crucial configuration parts, I like to have it running (Avira would not notice these).

Avira would, on detection of malware, take over the PC for an hour or so. In most every situations this is really disturbing.
    Teatimer, however, can just block the event, leaving time to schedule a virus or malware check.
    The only downside of Teatimer is a slow start-up (which can take 15min@100%CPU on my laptop), but the system is responsive also during that time.

So, would Avira2012 interfere with Teatimer?

Avira 2012 has a feature called 'protect Windows hosts file from changes'.
    This prevents you from use the most typical SB function, immunization.
    You can apparently uncheck it, but it does not work (I'm using Firefox).
    Even disabling and enabling avira doesnt produce any result.
    It's a serious incompatibility, and did not find any workaround so far.
    I'm afraid I'm in front of a dramatical choice. SB or Avira.
    Any suggestion is welcome, like alternative software ecc.

Hope this helps.