Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spybot-S&D 2.0 Beta 4 release thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Cool Spybot-S&D 2.0 Beta 4 release thread

Spybot-S&D 2.0 Beta 4 just got released!

This release sees speed enhancements, greater stability and improved Live Protection.

See our our official release announcement for more details and download links.

Please help with beta-testing so Spybot-S&D 2.0 final will be rock stable.

You may use this thread for general comments about the beta release, please open new threads if you like to discuss specific issues.

daemon

Regarding the Rootkit Scanner:

It finds thousands of entries.

The common factor is; under Details it reports 'Invisible to Win32'.

Hopefully this is less buggy, and hopefully it works better overall.

As it appears no-one is following the suggestion to use this thread for reporting issues with BETA4, I thought I might give it a bump.

Anyway, why is the Rootkit Scanner doing what I reported?

Is that normal (I certainly hope not)?

Patiently awaiting a reply...

Exclamation

I know at least that some rootkits rely on Registry entries with strings containing the null character (ASCII/UTF8/UTF16 code-point 0), because that character ends a C-style string, so regedit won't pick up anything after the null character, even though lower-level APIs for accessing the Registry do pick up the entire string and make use of it.

One possibility is that such strings are in fact handled incorrectly by the Win32 API (the lowest-level API for which ordinary Windows programs can be programmed) but correctly by the Native API, used by the kernel, drivers, and...rootkits.

OK, but Kaspersky and GMER find nothing.

I noticed the entries appeared to all be in User folders, in the Application Data/*/*/*/*/*... subfolders. (where * is Application Data again), this repeats several times, literally thousands of entries.

After a couple hours I shut down the scanner, because it was not finding anything new, just repeating, except in a different User folder.

I would imagine a more inexperienced user might delete all those entries, possibly wrecking their OS.

The fact I am running X64 version of Windows would not have anything to do with it?

Anyway, uninstalled and awaiting next BETA.

Default I had boot.ini problems

this beta version overwrote all my boot.ini files on all my bootable drives it almost destoyed my boot setup read my thread for more details http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=64557

Question Is this a bug or am I just being dumb?

Hi all,

I just loaded up Spybot-S&D 2.0 Beta 4 and ran it. Everything looked good except when I got to the Fix screen there was no way to click on any of the problems. (The check boxes don't work.) Even when I try to run the fix without marking any and it asks me if I want to run on "all" - it still doesn't happen.

I've attached a screen shot, in case that is useful.
    Am I just being dumb or could this be a bug?

Cheryl

P.S. I also couldn't find a 'start new thread' link, so I hope using reply is okay. Maybe it's just been a long day.

I've been having problems with the latest beta 4 in that whenever I try to update the definition files, it states that it cannot save to folder or save to save folder the updates or something like that. It scrolls pretty fast. I also know it doesn't save because when I scroll down, the newest updates have a red (x) next to them. So, this is my 3rd attempt to uninstall and reinstall hoping that the problem will be fixed. Is it because it's beta that it won't update the definition files?

Ahhh, I'm editing this post because I just noticed that Chileno above had the same problem. What they said is what's happening to me so I know it's not just my system.
    Last edited by Sunfyre7896; 2011-12-08 at 20:05.

Question

I'm having the exact same problem as Chileno and Sunfyre - "Unable to store downloaded update information," etc. It occurs on both Vista and W7 machines.

Can somebody please reply to these questions? S&D is mostly useless if there is no way to update definitions.

A second problem is also something someone else mentioned - when you do a Rootkit scan and there's a list of files at the end of it, there is no "Fix" button, no delete button, no indication of what to do with the files that were found. I've read that these may be false positives, so for now I'm just refraining from doing Rootkit scans altogether.