Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to disable Live protection

While I think it is important to be shown in some way everytime the live protection is processing an application event for the reason as stated by "Chaa006". I do feel however that the notification popping up in the middle of the screen is very disruptive, and should rather just appear above the Tool Bar without interupting what you are busy with. As it keeps disrupting me while typing or reading.

I too think live protection is a decent concept implemented in a tedious and irritating way
    Is the following possible:
    1. When scanning a process that is starting, indicate the fact in the system tray (a little icon that 'fills up' would be fine. Right click the icon to get a menu including terminate the scan)
    2. Why not keep a list of 'safe' files that do not need to be scanned (plus hopefully some simple to check characteristic that tells if the file has been changed_. Files once scanned could be (automatically/optionally) put into this list, The user could also add safe files to the list.
    That way only new and potentially dangerous files might be scanned.

Personally I would prefer to take the risk of a standard file being hijacked in a manner that cannot be detected without a full scan that wait for 15 minutes for the system to start up and a further several seconds for every new process that starts.

Unhappy Unusable

I agree with the several people who have already commented about the unfriendly implementation of the Live Protection scanner.

I have been an advocate for Spybot S&D for a long, long time but this Live Protection feature, as implemented, is painful. Try opening Gimp. I waited for more that 40 minutes (2.6 Ghz Dual Core Intel with 4Gb of RAM) for scan after scan after scan to complete. Because the popup pushes itself to the top every time a new scan starts it is nearly impossible to do anything else while it works. As soon as you try to work on something a new popup steals focus. Its like playing "whack-a-mole" but nowhere near as fun. There must be a better way to do this.

I'd suggest:

1) Putting that popup in the background so it doesn't hijack the screen,
    2) or reuse the popup for subsequent scans instead of creating a new one every time. Tricky, I know but you could probably do it via the taskbar item that is already running.
    3) Suggest scanning (at least) "C:\Program Files" on install and warn about the possibility that applications may take a very long time to start if this step is skipped.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by GeoNeo View Post
    I like the Live Protection but I think they should get rid of the pop-up and the sound. It should be run in the background so the user does not even notice it's there.
    I totally agree, there should be an option to toggle whether you want it to be a silent background task or not. Some people like it in their face but I'd rather not know it's there until if finds something wrong. I don't need a pop-up every other minute to reassure me it's doing it's job.