Thread: Rootkit result--what to do?

Default Rootkit result--what to do?

The quick scan suggested a deep scan which I ran.

A number of results appeared all with a red flag and all with the comment "no admin in ACL."

No action was taken against any listing. No action was suggested against any listing. Right clicking on a listing yielded no clear descriptive information.

For someone not fluent with the associated terminology the scan results have left me befuddled. I have no clue if I'm supposed to delete these entries or ignore them since no action was taken. I have no clue as to the possible downside of deleting these entries wherein they may be valid files.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Markg2 View Post
    The quick scan suggested a deep scan which I ran.

A number of results appeared all with a red flag and all with the comment "no admin in ACL."

No action was taken against any listing. No action was suggested against any listing. Right clicking on a listing yielded no clear descriptive information.

For someone not fluent with the associated terminology the scan results have left me befuddled. I have no clue if I'm supposed to delete these entries or ignore them since no action was taken. I have no clue as to the possible downside of deleting these entries wherein they may be valid files.

Mark

I too had the same results from the Rootkit scan and saw no obvious way to remove any listing if I had wanted to. Beyond that it seems to me that this new version is trying to be all things to all people and wants to do too much on its own with the options to start or shut down the various functions buried too deeply in the menus. I too uninstalled it and went back to the previous version.

IMGB34

I resolved the question and problem by running Norton's root kit (which requires a reboot so that it can properly run prior to Windows loading). It showed no problem. Absent further constructive comment here from those in the know I'll avoid Spybot's rootkit option.

On that subject, I find it unusual for a beta forum--where folks take their time to help out the authors--that product knowledgeable answers or feedback is absent.

One last point. I would think they could drop an interim release that at least takes care of the explorer/right click/crash annoyance!

Just my opinion--

Mark