Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: about .blank

Comp runs way faster.

Havent had windows re load with about.blank so far.
    Fingers crossed

Thank you so very much for your help

Neil

Emeritus- Malware Team

Hi Neil,

Thank you so very much for your help
    You're welcome.

Please print these instructions because you will not have access to the Internet while performing some of the tasks below.

1. Download Java installer to be used later
      Goto http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index.html
      Find the section labeled Java SE 6 Update 30 and click on the JRE Download button. (DO NOT click the JDK Download button).
      Click the Accept License Agreement option.
      Find the Windows x86 Offline entry, click the jre-6u30-windows-i586.exe link and save the installer on your Desktop.
      Find the installer icon on your Desktop so you'll know where to look later.

2. Remove Programs Using Control Panel
      From Start, Settings, Control Panel or Start, Control Panel, click Add/Remove Programs.
      Highlight each Entry, as follows, one by one, if it exists, and choose Remove :

Java Auto Updater
      Java(TM) 6 Update 24

Take extra care in answering questions posed by any Uninstaller.

3. Reboot (restart) your computer

4. Perform a Custom Fix with OTL
      • Double-click the OTL icon on your Desktop to run the program.
      • In the Custom Scans/Fixes box at the bottom, paste in the following lines from the Code box (Do not include the word "Code"):
        Code:
        :processes
        killallprocesses

:OTL
        O3 - HKCU\..\Toolbar\WebBrowser: (no name) - {CCC7A320-B3CA-4199-B1A6-9F516DD69829} - No CLSID value found.
        O3 - HKCU\..\Toolbar\WebBrowser: (no name) - {D4027C7F-154A-4066-A1AD-4243D8127440} - No CLSID value found.
        O3 - HKCU\..\Toolbar\WebBrowser: (no name) - {E7DF6BFF-55A5-4EB7-A673-4ED3E9456D39} - No CLSID value found.
        O6 - HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\control panel present
        O6 - HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\restrictions present
        O7 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\control panel present
        O7 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\restrictions present
        O15 - HKCU\..Trusted Domains: motive.com ([ptcnztbc.tcnz] http in Trusted sites)

[CREATERESTOREPOINT]
        [EMPTYTEMP]
      • Then click the Run Fix button at the top.
      • Let the program run unhindered and reboot the PC when it is done.
      • When the computer Reboots, and you start your usual account, a Notepad text file will appear.
      • Copy the contents of that file and post it in your next reply. The log can also be found, based on the date/time it was created, as C:\_OTL\MovedFiles\MMDDYYYY_HHMMSS.log.

5. Install Java Runtime Environment
      Double-click the jre-6u30-windows-i586.exe icon on your Desktop and it will install the newest version of Java for you to use.
      During the Installation, be sure to UNCHECK any offer for McAfee Security Scan Plus. It's just adware.
      Also always UNCHECK any offer for Ask Toolbar during the installation of Java or any other product.
      When it finishes, you can remove the Installer from your desktop.

Please include in your reply:
    1. The text of any error messages and/or a description of any problems you encountered while performing these steps.
    2. The contents of the OTL Fix log.
    3. Please let me know how your computer is running and note any Malware symptoms that are still present.

mambass[/quote]
    Graduate of Malware Removal University - You too could train to help others

All processes killed
    ========== PROCESSES ==========
    ========== OTL ==========
    Registry value HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar\WebBrowser\\{CCC7A320-B3CA-4199-B1A6-9F516DD69829} deleted successfully.
    Registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{CCC7A320-B3CA-4199-B1A6-9F516DD69829}\ not found.
    Registry value HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar\WebBrowser\\{D4027C7F-154A-4066-A1AD-4243D8127440} deleted successfully.
    Registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{D4027C7F-154A-4066-A1AD-4243D8127440}\ not found.
    Registry value HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar\WebBrowser\\{E7DF6BFF-55A5-4EB7-A673-4ED3E9456D39} deleted successfully.
    Registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{E7DF6BFF-55A5-4EB7-A673-4ED3E9456D39}\ deleted successfully.
    Registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\control panel\ deleted successfully.
    Registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\restrictions\ deleted successfully.
    Registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\control panel\ deleted successfully.
    Registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\restrictions\ deleted successfully.
    Registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Domains\motive.com\ptcnztbc.tcnz\ deleted successfully.
    File EATERESTOREPOINT] not found.
    File PTYTEMP] not found.

OTL by OldTimer - Version 3.2.31.0 log created on 12192011_221808

Files\Folders moved on Reboot...

Registry entries deleted on Reboot...

comp very slow now to start up or restart.

Thanks again for your time to help me.

Emeritus- Malware Team

Hi Neil,

1. Questions related to slow performance
      1. Some of our tools schedule tasks to be performed the next time the system boots. This can cause the system to come up slowly. That should however only happen on the next boot operation after running the tool. Can you tell me if reboots are still slow to come up? If so, is the slowness in
        1. The time it takes for the login screen to appear.
        2. The time it takes after logging in for the system to be usable.
        3. Both of the above.

2. If you are still experiencing slow boots then try booting a second time immediately after the system comes up and let me know if the second consecutive boot is faster than the first.
      3. You had previously said that things were much faster. Then they became slower. Can you quantify "fast" vs. "slow" in terms of how long things took/are taking? If the second boot is faster than the first, can you tell me how the second boot compares to when the system was "fast"?
      4. Are you experiencing any issues other than possibly general performance problems?

2. Backup Your Registry with ERUNT
      1. Please run ERUNT.
      2. OK all the prompts to back up your registry to the default location.
        Note: If you ever need to restore your registry later, you would go to the default backup folder and start ERDNT.exe
        (The default backup folder is C:\Windows\ERDNT\ and the backups are saved according to date stamp)

3. ESET online scannner
      1. Please disable any Antivirus you have active, as shown in This Topic.
      2. Hold down Ctrl then click on the following link to open a new window to ESET online scannner
        • If Internet Explorer is being used then check Yes, I accept the Terms of Use and then click the Start button.
          Allow the ESET Scanner Active-X component to be installed if asked and click the Retry button if prompted to restart the download.

• If a browser other than Internet Explorer is being used then click the esetsmartinstaller_enu.exe link and save the installer to your Desktop.
          Double-click on the installer to run it.
          Check Yes, I accept the Terms of Use and click the Start button.
      3. Make sure that the option Remove found threats is NOT checked, and the option Scan archives is checked.
      4. Now click on Advanced Settings and select the following:
        • Scan for potentially unwanted applications
        • Scan for potentially unsafe applications
        • Enable Anti-Stealth Technology
      5. Now click on Start.
      6. The virus signature database... will begin to download. Be patient this make take some time depending on the speed of your Internet Connection.
      7. When completed the Online Scan will begin automatically.
      8. Do not touch either the Mouse or keyboard during the scan otherwise it may stall.
      9. When completed select Uninstall application on close if you so wish, make sure you copy the logfile first!
      10. Now click on Finish.
      11. Use notepad to open the logfile located at C:\Program Files\ESET\EsetOnlineScanner\log.txt.
      12. Copy and paste that log as a reply to this topic.
      13. Re-enable your Antivirus software.

Please include in your reply:
    1. The text of any error messages and/or a description of any problems you encountered while performing these steps.
    2. The answers to questions related to performance.
    3. The contents of the ESET log.

mambass

Emeritus- Malware Team

Hi Neil,

It's been 72 hours since I posted my instructions. I just wanted to remind you that, per Forum policy here, this thread may now be closed.

Could you please let me know if you still need help and, if so, if you require additional time to perform the requested tasks?

Thank you.

mambass

Security Expert- Emeritus

Due to lack of response, this topic is now closed.

If it has been three days or more since your last post, and the helper assisting you posted a response to that post to which you did not reply, your topic will not be reopened. At that point, if you still require help, please start a new topic and include a fresh DDS log and a link to your previous thread. How to post a DDS log.

If it has been less than three days since your last response and you need the thread re-opened, please send a private message (pm) to me or a MOD. A valid, working link to the closed topic is required. Please do not add any logs that might have been requested in the closed topic, you would be starting fresh.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.