Thread: Deleting old Spybot Directory

Default Deleting old Spybot Directory

I had Spybot V1.3 installed on my harddrive prior to moving it to the secondary - slaved position. I no longer use it to boot. I installed a new harddrive as the primary (C) and installed the new V1.4 spybot without troubles.

When I switch directories to my old hard drive (F) I am unable to delete the entire Spybot directory. I get an error saying the directory is not empty. While the space it occupies is minimal, I would like to clean up the old drive.

Can someone help me erase the old directory?

Default Not sure if this is relevant

One sometimes gets that error message when trying to delete a directory with subdirectories in it, even if they themselves are empty. Try Deleting the files in each directory manually, then the directory, then the parent.

Default Additional Info

I've been able to delete everything except 2 folders. They are the Includes and the Languages folders. If I try to open them I get a message saying "The Disk in Drive F is not formated, do you want to do that now?" It seems like a registry issue, yet Drive F registry should not be active since I booted from drive C which has a seperate Windows XP install and seperate Spybot installed.

Any help would be appreciated.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

wingusa:

It sounds like there is some sort of file system error on that drive. I suggest you try running CHKDSK on that drive.

1. Open a command prompt.
      1. Click Start then select Run…
      2. Type "command" or "cmd" (no quotes).
      3. Click "OK"
    2. Type "chkdsk x: /f /r" (type the command with no quotes and substituting the drive letter of the external for the "x:"). Note: Option /f : Fixes errors on the disk. Option /r : Locates bad sectors and recovers readable information.
    3. The following may not apply since you are not scanning your primary drive. However, if the following appears:
      • Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)
        • Type "Y" (no quotes).
        • Type "EXIT" (no quotes).
        • Reboot your system.
    4. If you did not get the message indicating that a reboot was required (3. above), type "EXIT" (no quotes) when Chkdsk completes.
    5. Note: CHKDSK may run for quite a while so just be patient.
    For more information on CHKDSK see:

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Default Solved

Problem solved chkdsk was the solution. Several errors found and corrected. Directory was easily deleted afterwards.

Thank you for the help!