Thread: help pleze- how2install from usb when windows vista won't load

Default help pleze- how2install from usb when windows vista won't load

I hae a toshiba satellite M3050-S4829 infected probably from vista 2012 malware and now windows won't boot
    system restore won't restore to earlier dates either
    I have downloaded combofix onto a USB
    put it into the infected computer drive and the light flashes on the drive but at startup the computer just goes into the normal bad routine, start in safe mode, endless cycle, can't restore
    how do I get the laptop to read from the USB to use combofix or anything else to restore windows vista?
    help help help help
    I also had tried to load superantispyware from USB but nothing is showing up
    really need to get this working, hope someone can help
    ---------------------------------------

Edit
    DJ247,

Please DO NOT RUN ComboFix without being asked Please wait for a volunteer analyst to advise.

The Waiting Room: Post here if waiting for help four days
    Last edited by tashi; 2012-01-04 at 06:54. Reason: Added info

Emeritus- Malware Team

Hi DJ247,

Firstly, welcome to the Safer-Networking Malware Removal Forum.
    My name is Scolabar, and I'll be helping you with your malware problems.

Secondly, apologies for the delay in responding to your request for assistance. As you can no doubt imagine all the helpers are very busy.
    Logs can take a while to research, so please be patient.

If you no longer require help I would be grateful if you would let me know.

Please note the following important guidelines before proceeding:
    1. The instructions that will be provided are for YOUR computer and system only!
      Using these instructions on a different computer can cause damage to that computer and possibly render it inoperable
      !
    2. If you have any questions or do not understand something, please do not hesitate to ask, don't guess or assume.
    3. Only post your problem at One help site. Applying fixes from multiple help sites can cause problems.
    4. Only reply to this thread, do not start another. Please, continue responding, until I give you the All Clean.
      Absence of symptoms does not necessarily mean that everything is clear.
    5. DO NOT run any other fix or removal tools unless instructed to do so!
    6. DO NOT install any other software (or hardware) during the cleaning process. This adds more items to be researched.
    7. Print each set of instructions, if possible. Your Internet connection will not be available during some fix processes.
    8. Your security programs may give warnings for some of the tools I will ask you to use. Be assured, any links I give are safe.
    9. Note: No Reply Within 3 Days Will Result In Your Topic Being Closed!

Please Note: If you haven't done so already, please read this topic "BEFORE You POST"(Please read this Procedure Before Requesting Assistance) where the conditions for receiving help here are explained.

Windows Vista Advice:
    Please Note: The programs I ask you to use will need to be run in Administrator Mode.
    In order to do this Right-click on the program file and select the Run as Administrator option.
    Additionally, the built-in User Account Control (UAC) utility, if enabled, may prompt you for permission to run the program.
    If prompted, please click on the Allow button.
    Reference: User Account Control (UAC) and Running as Administrator

Please be aware that removing Malware is a hazardous undertaking. I will take care not to knowingly suggest courses of action that might damage your computer. However it is impossible for me to foresee all interactions that may happen between the software on your computer and those we'll use to clear you of infection, and I cannot guarantee the safety of your system. It is possible that we might encounter situations where the only recourse is to re-format and re-install your operating system, or to necessitate you taking your computer to a repair shop.
    In light of this, it would be advisable for you to back up any important files and folders that you don't want to lose before we start, if you haven't already done so.

If you follow these guidelines, things should proceed smoothly.

Thank you for your patience.

In the meantime, please complete the following steps in preparation for my next set of instructions.

Step 1:
    Summary of Actions

Please provide the following information:
    1. An outline of what you have done so far - from when you first started experiencing your computer problems.
    2. In what order any tools have been run and how many times.
    3. What, if any, attempted fixes/removals have been carried out so far.

Step 2:
    Safe Mode Query

When you boot the computer into Safe Mode do you get to the Safe Mode desktop or does the computer go into an endless cycle preventing you from reaching that point?

Step 3:
    Flash Drive Query

Did you backup everything on the flash drive before using it on the infected computer?

Step 4:
    Flash Disinfector

Using another computer that is free from infection:

1. Please download Flash_Disinfector...by sUBs and save it to the Desktop.
    2. Depending on the operating system installed on the computer, either:
      Double-click on the Flash_Disinfector.exe icon to run the program.
      or
      Right-click on Flash_Disinfector.exe and select the Run As Administrator option to launch the program. If you receive a UAC prompt, please allow it.
    3. Plug in your flash drive when prompted.
    4. The program will start disinfecting your flash and hard drives.
      This takes a few seconds. Your desktop will disappear in the meantime. This is normal.
    5. When the program has finished a message box will appear. Click on the OK button.
    6. Your desktop should now appear. If it doesn't:
      • Press (Ctrl + Shift + Esc) or (Ctrl+Alt+Delete) to open Task Manager.
      • Select File > New Task (Run...).
      • In the Create New Task entry box, type in:
        explorer.exe
      • Then press Enter. Your desktop should now re-appear.

As a security measure, Flash Disinfector creates hidden folder named Autorun.inf on each partition and every USB drive plugged in when it is run.
    Do not delete these folders. They will help protect your drives from future infection.

Note: This procedure should be performed on each flash drive you have, to prevent re-infection.

Step 5:
    Include in Next Post

1. Did you have any problems carrying out the instructions?
    2. Please provide an outline of what you have done so far from the start of your computer malware problems, and what, if any, fixes/removals have been carried out.
    3. Can you boot into Safe Mode get to the Safe Mode desktop?
    4. Did you backup everything on the flash drive before using it on the infected computer?
    5. Do you have the original Windows installation media for your PC?

Scolabar
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    No Reply Within 3 Days Will Result In Your Topic Being Closed
    Malware Removal University - You too could train to help others

Emeritus- Malware Team

Hi DJ247,

It has been over 48 hours since my last post.

• Do you still need help?
    • Do you need more time?
    • Are you having problems following my instructions?
    • In line with Safer-Networking's Forum Guidelines, topics will be closed after 3 days without a response.
    • If you do not reply within the next 24 hours, this topic will be closed.

Scolabar
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    No Reply Within 3 Days Will Result In Your Topic Being Closed
    Malware Removal University - You too could train to help others

Visiting Fellow

This topic has been archived due to inactivity.

If it has been three days or more since your last post, and the helper assisting you posted a response to which you did not reply, your thread will not be re-opened. At that point, if you still require help, please start a new topic and include a new DDS log with a link to your previous thread. Please do not add any logs that might have been requested previously, you would be starting fresh.

If it has been less than three days since your last response and you need the thread re-opened, please send your helper a private message (pm). A valid, working link to the closed topic is required.