Thread: Trouble making bootable CD w/ S&D Beta

Default Trouble making bootable CD w/ S&D Beta

I have seen a few posts on this subject. One common issue is the plug-in not being able to find a few files once the WAIK file is downloaded. I found that if you extract the files in the .img file (I used Winzip), the files will then be available and you can continue making the bootable CD.
    A problem I've been having is once the SpybotBootCD.iso file is made and I burn it to a CD, it will not work. I set the computer to boot from the CD/DVD player using the boot set up option (press F12 while system is booting up and select CD/DVD disk drive). I've tried: burning a disk with all the files located in the C:\SpybotBootCD folder -- burning just the SpybotBootCD.iso file -- changing the file extension from .iso to .img -- making the CD a "bootable disc" with Roxio using both .iso and .img extensions. Making the file "bootable" with Roxio gave me a "Missing operating system" error upon boot up but goes no further so I know at least it's looking a the CD drive to boot up. Other variations I tried do nothing and Windows will load normally. I'm using Vista Home Premium. Is there something I'm not doing right? Should I extract the files from the SpybotBootCD.iso file and burn them to the boot CD individually? I'm at a loss and I have a computer that is almost clean and I think this disc will finish the job.
    Last edited by dangmalware; 2011-12-13 at 06:42. Reason: Corrected file extension

Esteemed Member

When you say you burned the iso file to CD, how did you do that? You need software able to make the CD from the iso file, which is not the same as simply having the .iso file itself on the CD.

Several free aps that will do that, such as imgburn

http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download

Or, in Windows 7; right click the .iso and select Burn Disc Image.

I just used windows disc burn tool and also Roxio program using the "make a bootable disc"" option. I wasn't aware I needed an .img burning program. Like I said, I'm new to the whole .img and .iso thing. I think I might have one or two blank discs left (burned quite a few trying this) so hopefully I will have success before running out. Would I be able to use a CD-RW?

Thanks everyone for the help!
    Last edited by dangmalware; 2011-12-15 at 06:17. Reason: Added info

Have you tried re-downloading the .iso file, it may be corrupt?