Thread: ITBARLAYOUT message keeps popping up

Default ITBARLAYOUT message keeps popping up

When I open IE, spybot keeps asking me to allow or deny registry change for ITBARLAYOUT. I have followed the instruction in another thread to allow change to get rid of the popup. Now, can someone tells what ITBARLAYOUT is?

Thanks.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

This is not really my area of expertise, so if someone elso would like to jump in here, feel free.

My understanding of ITBarLayout.

ITBarLayout controls the layout of the toolbar. There are actually three ITBarLayout entries (Explorer, ShellBrowser and WebBrowser) located in the following registry keys:

Code:
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar\Explorer]
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar\ShellBrowser]
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar\WebBrowser]
    • Explorer ITBarLayout controls the toolbar layout of Windows Explorer.
    • ShellBrowser ITBarLayout controls the toolbar layout of Internet Explorer ShellBrowser (see note below).
    • WebBrowser ITBarLayout controls the toolbar layout of Internet Explorer

Note: Internet Explorer ShellBrowser contains information and settings about an instance of Internet Explorer. If these settings are modified or a new ShellBrowser is added, this ShellBrowser can take control of Internet Explorer and add toolbars, menus, and buttons.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.