Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: DDS Will not complete, No task Manager, etc...

Malware Team-Emeritus

Does this work?

Click Start -> Run..., copy (including both double quotes) and paste the following line into the run box, then click OK:
    "C:\Documents and Settings\adnott\Desktop\aswMBR.exe" -ap 2

Answer Yes to confirm the active partition change.
    Click the Save log button to open the log and paste it into your next reply.

"C:\Documents and Settings\adnott\Desktop\aswMBR.exe" -ap 2

That's exactly what I am pasting into the run line but nothing happens. I tried in safemode and in regular xp.

out of curiosity I tried running aswMBR.exe by double clicking it on the desktop... the results are the same now that way as from the run command. Nothing.

Could it have been removed or altered by the rootkit?

Malware Team-Emeritus

Ok... both methods work on my computer.

Please double click the aswMBR icon on your desktop to verify that the program starts. Just close the program again.

Click Start -> Run..., type cmd into the run box, then click OK.
    Type the following two commands into the black command box, press enter on the keyboard after each command:
    cd Desktop
    This will add "Desktop" to the command line prompt, if not the next will not work.
    aswMBR -ap 2
    If aswMBR starts, you will be prompted to change active partition.

You can try in normal and safe mode. You can also run rkill and exehelper first.
    Last edited by vict0r; 2012-01-29 at 21:51.

double clicking the icon on the desktop does not launch.

the command line changes to include desktop but adding aswMBR -ap 2 (enter) does not appear to do anything but goes to the next line. I'm thinking that I should try and re-download aswMBR.exe

Malware Team-Emeritus

Do your copies of rkill and exehelper work?

Quote Originally Posted by WOLFH View Post
    I'm thinking that I should try and re-download aswMBR.exe
    That could work. Even better would be to rename the file before the download:

Please right click the following link aswMBR and select Save file as or Save as. Save the file as "explorer.exe" (including the double quotes).

Click Start -> Run..., type cmd into the run box, then click OK.
    Type the following two commands into the black command box, press enter on the keyboard after each command:
    cd Desktop
    This will add "Desktop" to the command line prompt, if not the next will not work.
    explorer.exe -ap 2
    If aswMBR starts, you will be prompted to change active partition.

You can try in normal and safe mode. You can also run rkill and exehelper first.

You can also verify that the program starts by double clicking the "explorer" icon on the desktop. Just close the program again.

The new download does not launch (named it explorer.exe). Tried in safe mode and in regular xp mode. Both rkill and exehelper run- don't seem to find anything.

Malware Team-Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by vict0r View Post
    This particular version might not be fixable and in over 90% of cases so far, the only guaranteed cure has been a reformat of the hard drive and reinstall of Windows.
    Do you still want to continue cleaning this computer? It's not even clear if it can be done.

The better and faster option is to back up your files, reformat the hard drive and reinstall Windows.

What is the risk if copying these files for re-use later? Are there specific file types or locations to avoid?

Thanks for you help with this.