Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spybot-S&D 2.0 Beta 5 release thread

Smile Spybot-S&D 2.0 Beta 5 release thread

Spybot-S&D 2.0 Beta 5 just got released!

This release has important subsurface improvements:

• We have revised the Uninstaller.
    • Memory consumption during scans has been optimized.
    • The detection criteria were improved and now detect more malicious files.
    • Extended logging is now easier to understand.

See our our official release announcement for more details and download links.

Please help with beta-testing so Spybot-S&D 2.0 final will be rock stable.

You may use this thread for general comments about the beta release, please open new threads if you like to discuss specific issues.

daemon

Seems about the same to me.

I will continue to advocate for a 'lite' version that does not have all the extraneous modules.

I would also ask that the "Immunize" function check for duplicate entries in the hosts file, rather than simply adding entries and uselessly increasing the size of the hosts file.

Uninstalled for now.

Awaiting the next version.

Quote Originally Posted by Arctucas View Post
    I will continue to advocate for a 'lite' version that does not have all the extraneous modules.

I would also ask that the "Immunize" function check for duplicate entries in the hosts file, rather than simply adding entries and uselessly increasing the size of the hosts file.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Arctucas View Post
    Seems about the same to me.

Uninstalled for now.

Awaiting the next version.
    I agree. Here's a concept another came up with sometime ago.

http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?&t=63599

Regarding the hosts file, does it allow to optimize the hosts file, by placing 9 entries per line, and change the IP to 0.0.0.0? (I've been unable to test Spybot, since I lost my other laptop.)

As long as improvements' getting made, and installer getting smaller, I'm satisfied.

My scan simply fails to run and has now been 'not responding' for more than an hour!

Quote Originally Posted by Catti View Post
    My scan simply fails to run and has now been 'not responding' for more than an hour!
    Hello Catti,

Is this the beta release? Which version please.

Best regards,
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

There is a hidden tweak that allows changing the IP the immunization uses for the hosts file, see HostsBlockIP. This is no official setting that can be done from within the GUI since it's something important to very few and would confuse most others.

As for duplicates, it should already check them; this might overlap with the issue about 9 entries per line. It should be able to read those. If it creates duplicates, it might have failed there; and if Spybot would use multiple entries per line, the risk that other software would fail identifying duplicates would increase as well.

Installer size: we've still got changes pending that will reduce the size some more.

User interface: there are already some improvements to it in this beta (reduced entries in the navigation bar at the left, simplified overview in Start Center by making captions shorter and removing subtitles), but there are even more pending (just yesterday we made the descriptive text in those headers optional, similar to how they could be folded away in 1.6, but collapsed by default), and there's a handful of other small updates to make it simpler.

Some modules have already been removed (Alter Ego, Boot CD Creator), the others are all kind of essential. They'll continue to shrink in size, making them less annoying
    Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)

@PepiMK,

Thank you for personally replying.

I assure you, the Immunization does not check for duplicates, it simply adds its own entries into my hosts file, effectively doubling the size.

From reading your comments, I presume there will be no 'Lite', i.e. scanner-only, version?

That is unfortunate, in my opinion. I would have used SBS&D if that were the case.

However, I wish you continued success with SBS&D. I am sure some will find it worthwhile.

Best Regards

Immunisation of Spybot2 dont find the unprotected options, which are found y Spybot 1.6