Thread: Where have my files gone?

Default Where have my files gone?

I successfully used your application to kill a very nasty virus.

Bit now my start menu is blank apart from my name,all favourites have been deletd and all my folders seem to be empty.

Except that when I try and copy in new files I get asked if I want to "overwrite existing file?" suggestung that the foles are still there but just can't be seen.

Can I get them back? as well as everthing in my Start menu??

Thanks.

Hello Martin in Preston,

What is the operating system please. Also did you run any other program/s when trying to remove the infection and do you still have the same issue?

Just to clarify, Spybot-S&D is not an anti virus program.

Best regards.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

I think it's XP, but as my desktop is totally blank I can't access "My Computer" to check.

I also ran Microsoft Security Essentials.

The bot, or virus, or whatever it was, has now gone. By so has access to all my files.

Many thanks.

Hello Martin in Preston,

The most likely scenario is that the "missing" files are not missing but have been hidden by one of the nastier infections or due to collateral damage caused by removing said nasty variant.

This is not unusual after the removal of certain malware infections that bork file permissions regardless of the tools/methods for removal.

It's also possible the computer is not completely clean. For someone to take a look at the system please start a topic in the Malware Removal Forum: http://forums.spybot.info/forumdisplay.php?f=22

Also read the FAQ but as you cannot produce the logs for analysis make note of the issue and a volunteer analyst will advise when available.

Please give a full description of what was infecting your computer and what was used to remove the infection. Also give a full list of what sort of items are "missing," e.g., files, icons, start button, etc.

Best regards,

Many thanks.

I am now running MS Security Essentials again, in ful,l to see if it can find anything.

If it does not, I will try and open a case as you suggest, but to be quite honest it's hard to remember exactly what it.

I do know that it kept telling me varoous things were wrong with my laptop like "disk speed critically low", "temperature warning", "bad sectors" etc and posted a big window that could not beclosed only moved round.

I was also locled out of Windows Task Manager, it teling me this had been "disabled by the Administrator". I also got a cascade of fault windows every 5 minutes or so, teliung me somethig had been interrupted - about 20 at a time. At the end it it tried to sell me software to fix the "problem".

As I said, my start menu now is still completely empty apart from my user name, I have no wallpaper picture (it's now plain blue) and no desktop icons. I can only connect to the net by do a run> iexpolore in the comamnd line. But Windows Task Manager os now ok and the task bar at the bottom is still intact - that's how I can get to MS Security Essentials.

Many thanks for your help.

I imaging this is common problem and not caused directly by your S&D software.

Martin

After running a full scan (over 2 hours) MS Security Essentials found one suspect item: Trojan:Win32/FakeSysdef which it has now removed. But even after re-start my icons and shortcuts are still all missing.

Thanks

Hi Martin in Preston,
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin in Preston View Post
    After running a full scan (over 2 hours) MS Security Essentials found one suspect item: Trojan:Win32/FakeSysdef which it has now removed. But even after re-start my icons and shortcuts are still all missing.
    http://www.microsoft.com/security/po...n32/FakeSysdef

This threat may make lasting changes to a computer's configuration that are NOT restored by detecting and removing this threat.
    Common after effect of this infection as shown on the Microsoft "Answers" forums and elsewhere.
    "When I open to my desktop none of my icons appear." "How do I uncover the files? My desktop is still hidden"

Search,
    Trojan:Win32/FakeSysdef site:answers.microsoft.com

Someone may be able to help you with the computer if you start a topic in malware removal.

Cheers,
    Last edited by tashi; 2012-03-04 at 15:54. Reason: Added info

Many thanks, you have been very helpful and you deserve a donation. I may open a thread as suggested.

It's ok, I worked it out for myself eventually:

1. Windows+R to get command prompt.
    2. C:
    3. Edit: Select all
    4. Right mouse on any folder: Properties.
    5. Attributes: Unhide.

For some reason all folders and files had become hidden.

That's all it was.

Thanks anyway.

Glad it worked out.