Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: PWS:win32/zbot.gen!AC after downloading Free File Opener

ComboFix didn't seem to want to connect to net for the Recovery Console. So I disabled the net when it said it was scanning for infectied files

Then it said: this typically doesn't take more than 10 minutes. However, scan times for badly infected machines mayh easily double

I has had over 20 mins and I think it has crashed because even the clock isnt up to date. the mouse moves but I couldn't open firefox...

I am leaving UTorrents on my computer for now. I wont use it, til it is clear, of course (not that I've used it for several years). Thanks for the explanation about why it is so dangerous.

please advise what to do next....

big thanks

had definately crashed, so switched off.

didn't mean to sound stubborn about utorrents: am happy to remove if it helps you to help me.

Hello ecosarah

Thank you for the OTL log.

just to say that the MS one was only put on AFTER I got the trojan, to run a scan, and have removed it!!
    Thanks for letting me know.

didn't mean to sound stubborn about utorrents: am happy to remove if it helps you to help me
    No problem at all. Its actually helping you to help yourself. You'd be better off without it.

I has had over 20 mins
    Some scans can take up to an hour to run.

So I disabled the net when it said it was scanning for infectied files
    This may have contributed to the crash. Please do not click on anything when Combofix is running.

Please disable all of you security programs and try running Combofix again.

If it crashes, reboot into Safe Mode and try from there:

1. Reboot Your System in Safe Mode

• Restart your computer.
      • As soon as BIOS is loaded begin tapping the F8 key until the "Advanced Options" menu appears.
      • Use the arrow keys to select the Safe mode menu item.
      • Press Enter.

If combofix is able to complete its run from either mode please post the log.

If you are still having problems come back and let me know.
    Proud Graduate of the WTT Classroom

Have followed your instructions again, leaving it connected to the internet. It is very scary thinking of it being connected to the net for an hour with no firewall or antivirus...

screen has disappeared, so dont know where its at. Hard drive light not lit at all, like when it crashed. will leave an hour, unless i hear from you, however dont think it is doing anything!

Hello ecosarah

screen has disappeared
    Do you mean the Combofix screen or your desktop icons?

It is normal for the desktop icons to disappear when Combofix runs (they will re-appear when it has finished).

However, if the blue Combofix window has disappeared that is not normal.

If the machine has crashed again please see if Combofix will run from Safe Mode as mentioned earlier.

Let me know how you get on in your next reply
    Proud Graduate of the WTT Classroom

I meant screen is black all over with a light that means it hasn't switched off, but no light in the hard drive symbol... It has had nearly an hour now. Last time I tried to open in safe mode 3 times it crashed: will try again...

with a light that is below the screen, where the different symbols are lit up.

crashed in safe mode again with harddrive light permanently on, and on page two of list of pathways. Last time I left it 20mins or so and got no change.

when I choose safe mode, I then get a further choice: recovery console or xp windows prof. I always choose the latter, as that is what it normally starts in. Should I be choosing the former?

thanks

will start normally and try again with Combofix...