Thread: Teatimer IR loop, XP/SP2, can't use it for now...

apfwebs

Question Teatimer IR loop, XP/SP2, can't use it for now...

I think I want the extra protection Teatimer may provide, but...I've tried to start it on both my laptops, with this result: Teatimer pops into a continuous Interrupt-Response phase, asking me "Is this okay?" for each registry change. I guess this is what it's supposed to do, but then, many apps may have some effect on the registry, que no?

At any rate, I was able to get out of the loop only by brute force (task manager, blow away Teatimer).

Both laptops have XP/SP2, both have various anti-virus (AVG), anti-spyware (Spybot, Spywareblaster, Ad-Aware, CWshredder, Stinger, MS...)

Both had Teatimer started with defaults, as I sort of took it was okay from the doc. Perhaps I am not savvy enough, and was missing something in setup?

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Without any indication of what registry changes you were responding to or how you were responding to them, I have no idea what the problem was that you encountered.

Please go into Spybot > Help > About. What version are you running?
    • Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.3.
    • Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.4.
    • etc.

I suggest that you turn off TeaTimer and keep it from restarting at system startup until you have a better understanding of TeaTimer. To do that:
    • Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode > Tools > Resident.
    • Uncheck the following:
      • Resident "TeaTimer" (Protection of over-all system settings) Active.

Next while still in Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode > Tools > Resident, page (scroll) to near the bottom of the listing in the lower portion of the window that shows a summary of the messages that you were getting and how you answered them. Highlight the portion of that log that shows the problem you encountered, then right click and select Copy. Paste the log entries to another post in this thread after answering the above question.

Finally, using Windows Explorer, navigate to one of the following folders depending on the operating system you run under:
    • Windows 95/98
      C:\Windows\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Excludes
    • Windows ME
      C:\Windows\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Excludes
    • Windows NT/2000/XP
      C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Excludes

Open the RegKeyWhite.sbe file in Notepad (doubling clicking on it should open it in notpad) and copy its contents to the post.
    Also copy the contents of the RegKeyBlack.sbe file to the post.

Thanks.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

apfwebs

Default Done except that...

the exclude files you mention are not present. Mebbe that's the problem! Nothing excluded, so ol' Teatimer (1.4, BTW) goes after everything.

apfwebs

Default That is not to say I couldn't find the folder

Other files are present...

Quote Originally Posted by apfwebs View Post
    the exclude files you mention are not present. Mebbe that's the problem!
    No, that's not the problem. Those files only contain information if you used "Remember this decision" while responding to a TeaTimer registry change dialog.

Please provide the information from the resident log as requested.

Quote Originally Posted by md usa spybot fan View Post
    … while still in Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode > Tools > Resident, page (scroll) to near the bottom of the listing in the lower portion of the window that shows a summary of the messages that you were getting and how you answered them. Highlight the portion of that log that shows the problem you encountered, then right click and select Copy. Paste the log entries to another post in this thread …

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

apfwebs

Default Well, I tried it again, just now; I'm inept

I can't find the requested log

I have several items checked in the requested screen in Advanced mode. Perhaps I should uncheck all but one? I went in and rechecked Resident to check what happens (to turn on Teatimer, see symptoms). As before, I got the loop of response requests. They were a series of windows, Browser Helper Object Value Detected. I checked "Remember this decision" which was followed by "Registry change denied"

In the window containing "Browser Helper Object Value Detected" was a value expressed in hex, which I suspect is the value in which you're interested. I'd like to figure out how to fetch it for you. Would *this* be a good test?

(1) Uncheck *everything* in Advanced mode, close Spybot.
    (2) Open Spybot, Check Resident. Allow symptoms to occur. Enter Advanced mode during Response loop ("Registry change denied" business, as described above").
    (3) Uncheck "resident".
    (4) Check something else (what?) to enable fetching the log you request.
    (5) Please describe to me, in terms for my simple mind, what to check, if anything, and how to fetch, said log. (And if responding with "Remember this decision" then Xing out of the box is incorrect, please so tell me...)

You should have seen the log when you went in to recheck Teatimer.

http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/5664/untitledxd8.jpg
    Last edited by Zenobia; 2006-08-14 at 21:04.

When you go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode > Tools > Resident and assuming that you did not click the "Archive log" button at the top of the screen, the resident log is the listing immediately below in the following section:
    • Resident protection status
      • Resident "SDHelper" (Internet Explorer bad download blocker) active.
      • Resident "TeaTimer" (Protection of over-all system settings) active.

I will repeat my prior advice:
    Quote Originally Posted by md usa spybot fan View Post
    I suggest that you turn off TeaTimer and keep it from restarting at system startup until you have a better understanding of TeaTimer. To do that:
    • Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode > Tools > Resident.
    • Uncheck the following:
      • Resident "TeaTimer" (Protection of over-all system settings) Active.