Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: win32.fraudpackage.dl

Emeritus- Malware Team

Hi Mike,

In answer to your questions:

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hunt
    I really like my tuneup utilities and my Hitman and do not wish to uninstall them. I am not questioning your expertise at all, but I wonder if I can leave these installed and we could work with them.
    If you wish to keep those programs, particularly given the warning regarding Tuneup Utilities, that is your choice. However, I'm afraid, I would require them to be uninstalled for time being for the reasons I have already given, if you wish continued assistance. Neither of those programs would be used in the cleanup process.

I'm sure there are posts out there that say Spybot disrupts other programs and is less than ideal.
    That is why the "BEFORE You POST"(Please read this Procedure Before Requesting Assistance) includes instructions for disabling TeaTimer for the duration of the assistance, which I presume you followed as the logs you have provided so far show TeaTimer is already disabled.
    TeaTimer is an effective anti-malware tool, however its anti-malware functionality does mean that it will interfere with the tools used to clean up malware infection. Hence the request to disable TeaTimer.

Yes, I have the original installation medium. Yes, it is a registered legitamate copy of windows. Could you not tell from the current windows updates applied?
    I asked you whether or not you have your original installation media for two reasons: a) To make sure that, in the event of serious malware infection being uncovered, you have the ability to reformat and reinstall your system, if deemed necessary. b) The knowledge of whether or not you have the original installation media determines how the cleanup procedure is progressed.

I do not see why Hijack this is necessary to remove.
    I believe I made it quite clear as to why I requested the program to be removed - the program is very outdated. The version you have was outdated in 2007 - 5 years ago! All effective malware tools are updated on a regular basis. Updates are delivered in weeks rather than months.

Why is Spybot the only program that is indicating this problem exists?
    If all anti-malware tools were maintained by the same anti-malware team they would all pick up the same issues. Fortunately, as that is not the case, different tools can and do pick up different malware issues. By their very nature all tools used to combat malware have areas of strength and weakness. There never has been or ever will be a one-hit wonder tool that will fix all malware issues.

I will be in the hospital from Tuesday thru Friday of this week. Can we keep this post open, though I will not be able to respond until Saturday?
    Given that you will be unable to continue with this thread until next weekend at the earliest, my recommendation is to close this topic and for you to post a fresh set of logs when you have returned from hospital and are able to respond to instructions given in good time.

Please let me know when you have read this post and I will arrange to have this topic closed.

Scolabar
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    No Reply Within 3 Days Will Result In Your Topic Being Closed
    Last edited by Scolabar; 2012-04-29 at 23:03.
    Malware Removal University - You too could train to help others

Security Expert- Emeritus

Due to lack of response, this topic is now closed.

If it has been three days or more since your last post, and the helper assisting you posted a response to that post to which you did not reply, your topic will not be reopened. At that point, if you still require help, please start a new topic and include a fresh DDS log and a link to your previous thread. How to post a DDS log.

If it has been less than three days since your last response and you need the thread re-opened, please send a private message (pm) to me or a MOD. A valid, working link to the closed topic is required. Please do not add any logs that might have been requested in the closed topic, you would be starting fresh.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.