Thread: System crash after running Spybot - Options?

Exclamation System crash after running Spybot - Options?

My computer was acting strange today when I powered up. I am running a Dell computer with Windows XP SP3, upgraded from Windows 98.

When I booted up, neither ZoneAlarm or AVG icons appeared in my system tray. So I rebooted, ZoneAlarm launched, but AVG never did. An educational kids game (not internet) would not run, either, giving strange error messages about missing files.

I ran Malware Bytes, and it came back clean. Ran Spybot, which found several bugs. It repaired all but one, which said I needed to reboot to remove (Coupon Bar or something I think). I have not been able to reboot since. It has gotten progressively worse, and now I cannot even boot into safe mode.

I tried to do a repair with my Windows XP CD, and it says it can't find a version installed on the computer. UGH! Now when I boot up, it says "Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM." According to a Microsoft KB article, it recommends booting to a repair console and backing up system files and deleting them, but when I try to do the copy command, I get "Access is denied." If I try to do a "cd c:\windows" it says it cannot find the file or directory.

Am I just completely hosed with no option but to reinstall Windows (which was an upgrade from Windows 98, so will have to reinstall that too, and not sure if I will be able to find the key)? Or is there some way to recover this ugly mess?? HELP!
    Last edited by tashi; 2012-04-10 at 17:31. Reason: Moved from Spybot-S&D support

Hello laborday95,
    Quote Originally Posted by laborday95 View Post
    My computer was acting strange today when I powered up. I am running a Dell computer with Windows XP SP3, upgraded from Windows 98.

When I booted up, neither ZoneAlarm or AVG icons appeared in my system tray. So I rebooted, ZoneAlarm launched, but AVG never did. An educational kids game (not internet) would not run, either, giving strange error messages about missing files.
    When was the computer upgraded. Could you detail the steps taken please, is this the XP Home version?

Sounds like a tricky upgrade. http://www.theeldergeek.com/upgrading_to_windows_xp.htm
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

Oh I'm sorry I didn't make that clear. I upgraded to XP YEARS ago. I was just giving background to the operating system on my machine. The upgrade wasn't the problem. It's been running fine until yesterday when I powered up.

Thanks.

Hi laborday95.

Please consider registering at What The Tech and posting in this forum: Microsoft Windows™

The volunteer techs there would be able to offer guidance.

Best regards,
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

OK I'll give that a try. Not having high hopes. :(

Default Shortcut for Reinstalling XP Upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by laborday95 View Post
    Am I just completely hosed with no option but to reinstall Windows (which was an upgrade from Windows 98, so will have to reinstall that too, and not sure if I will be able to find the key)? Or is there some way to recover this ugly mess?? HELP!
    Just a hint, in case you do end up having to reinstall XP. When you run the upgrade XP CD and it is looking for your old Win 98 installation, you can simply point the upgrade install to search your CD drive, then insert your Win 98 CD. The upgrade installer will find your Win 98 on the CD without having to reinstall in on your computer. Then you can put the XP CD back in and proceed as normal. That should save you a bunch or time.