Log created at 13:11 on 24/04/2012 by Owner
    Administrator - Elevation successful

========== filefind ==========

Searching for "Happili"
    No files found.

-= EOF =-

Emeritus

Hi,

Ok that is good. Looks to be that your security software was doing the job. Was that the only time that had happened?

Well I didn't try it again, but this was the original problem I was having. I would search something and then click on the link to go there but would end up a this Happili* advert page instead.

But if I copied the link and pasted it to the browser it would go to the right place. It was only when I clicked on the link that I was re-directed. I'm going to try it again several times.

Well it is still happening every time on different links for the same search. I searched Frank Zappa quotes and every link got the Happili* advert page, but when I search Dizzy Gillespie all the links are fine. WHA???

I think I was wrong about the Ad-Aware tool bar, it is Mozilla Firefox that has the red bars the Ad-Aware tool bar shows it as a safe page.

Maybe I should just remove the Ad-Aware tool bar, I don't think it is serving any purpose.

Very confused,
    Michael

The above post ^^^^^ I switched horses mid stream, sorry about that. It probably is confusing the way I worded it.

Emeritus

Hi,

Do you use a wireless router by chance?

Hi,

I am hard wired into a wireless router.

Michael

Emeritus

Hi,

Ok...

Reset the Router

Let’s try to reset the router to its default configuration.
    • this can be done by inserting something tiny like a paper clip end or pencil tip into a small hole labeled "reset" located on the back of the router.
    • press and hold down the small button inside until the lights on the front of the router blink off and then on again (usually about 10 seconds).
    • if you don’t know the router's default password, you can look it up. here
    • you also need to reconfigure any security settings you had in place prior to the reset.
    • you may also need to consult with your Internet service provider to find out which DNS servers your network should be using.

Note: After resetting your router, it is important to set a non-default password, and if possible, username, on the router. This will assist in eliminating the possibility of the router being hijacked again.
    ----------

Hi Jeff,

Thank you for the response.

I don't have access to the router right now but I will in the morning. it is in another part of the house (I am renting) ---

I have been inside the router before so I know the passcodes.

A few questions:

---Will this reset screw up the other devices on the router (all of them are wireless btw, except one other computer that is almost never used). I am very sure they (the other users) just use the wireless key provided and that is it.

---And, I don't know about any security settings or what they should be, would you be able to help me with this or am I able to copy them to put them back? If the security settings are not right to begin with I would rather make them safer and work correctly. Or is this the wireless key that you are talking about? I would be able to convince the other users most likely to change the key if it will help... anyway this stuff I know very little about.

I don't think the router was ever properly set up to begin with. Because of the trouble I recently set the firewall to the highest setting just to be safer.

---What are the chances of me having to call the provider (DSL) for the DNS server number(s) just as a matter of curiosity because I could get that out of the way early if there is a good chance I need them.

I recently did a test as a result of the FBI investigation a good friend told me about and I called him to confirm the validity. Here is what he sent me --- I came back green

Subject: Internet may drop for hundreds of thousands in July due to hacker malware

Use this link to check your DNS server. Green is good, Red is bad.
    http://www.dcwg.org/detect/

WASHINGTON (KABC) -- A few mouse clicks could mean the difference between staying online and losing your Internet connection this summer.
    Unknown to most computer users, the problem began with international hackers running an online advertising scam to take control of infected computers worldwide. In response, the FBI set up a safety net months ago to prevent Internet disruptions for those infected users. But here's where the problem kicks in - that system is to be shut down.
    So, the FBI is encouraging computer users to visit www.dcwg.org, a website run by its security partner. The website contains information to see if your computer is infected and explains how to fix the problem.
    After July 9, infected users will not be able to connect to the Internet.
    Most victims don't even know their computers have been infected, although the malicious software probably has slowed their web surfing and disabled their antivirus software, making their machines more vulnerable to other problems.
    Last November, the FBI and other authorities were preparing to take down a hacker ring that had been running an Internet ad scam on a massive network of infected computers. However, officials said if they just threw everyone involved in jail, the victims of the virus would be without Internet service.
    "The average user would open up Internet Explorer and get 'page not found' and think the Internet is broken," explained Tom Grasso, an FBI supervisory special agent.
    On the night of the arrests, the agency brought in Paul Vixie, chairman and founder of Internet Systems Consortium, to install two Internet servers to take the place of the truckload of impounded rogue servers that infected computers were using. Federal officials planned to keep their servers online until March, giving everyone the opportunity to clean their computers. But it wasn't enough time. A federal judge in New York extended the deadline until July.
    Now, said Grasso, "the full court press is on to get people to address this problem." And it's up to computer users to check their PCs.
    Here's what the hackers did: They infected a network of probably more than 570,000 computers worldwide. The malware turned off antivirus updates and changed the way the computers reconcile website addresses behind the scenes on the Internet's domain name system.
    The DNS system is a network of servers that translates a Web address into the numerical addresses that computers use. Victims' computers were reprogrammed to use rogue DNS servers owned by the attackers. This allowed the attackers to redirect computers to fraudulent versions of any website.
    The hackers earned profits from advertisements that appeared on websites that victims were tricked into visiting. The scam netted the hackers at least $14 million, according to the FBI. It also made thousands of computers reliant on the rogue servers for their Internet browsing.
    When the FBI and others made the arrests in November, the agency replaced the rogue servers with clean ones. Installing and running the two substitute servers for eight months is costing the federal government about $87,000.
    The number of victims is hard to pinpoint, but the FBI believes that on the day of the arrests, at least 568,000 unique Internet addresses were using the rogue servers. Five months later, FBI estimates that the number is down to at least 360,000. The U.S. has the most, about 85,000, federal authorities said. Other countries with more than 20,000 each include Italy, India, England and Germany. Smaller numbers are online in Spain, France, Canada, China and Mexico.

So that is it in a nutshell, nothing more I can do tonight but can do in the morning. Thank you for seeing this through, truly awesome!

With Respect,
    Michael

Emeritus

Hi,

So you don't need to renew all your devices on the wireless router let's do this...

In the run box type the following

diskmgmt.msc

When disc management opens expand it so that all drives are visible
    Take a screenshot and post it here

Are you able to burn a CD on another computer ?
    -------------