Thread: Found trojan and adware on computer. Need help!

Smile Found trojan and adware on computer. Need help!

Well first off, let me start by telling you this is a eMachines with Windows ME operating system. I found it in my parent's attic last week and it's been out of use for quite some time. I couldn't resist bringing it to my apartment and hooking it up.

So today, I managed to find an anti-virus software to check for bugs, etc. It's actually running right now, scanning, but so far it has said it's found viruses (4). 3 of them have been quarantined, and I'm not sure what has happened with the fourth. I haven't deleted anything because some of the files it says are infected apparently are important to the system (from Google's stand-point, that is ).

I haven't backed up the registry, because honestly I'm not sure how to on Windows ME and I'm not sure if the ERUNT works on this specific OS. I have downloaded the DDS Log though . I wasn't sure if the Before You Post thread also wanted me to download the Spybot software, so I haven't yet, but gladly will

I did also remove something called PrecisionTime (Google searches all pointed to it being adware) because at the beginning of start-up it would send an error message saying something about causing problems with C++ and having to close, and so far, I haven't had any issues from removing it. Actually, when I did, the anti-virus scanner started and internet browser started working. Just thought I'd mention that in case it's important..

Although I'm sure the majority of the slowness is dust that has to be cleaned, I also think that these infected files might be playing a role. I'm wanting to get the computer running better, as my parents wouldn't mind having it going for my lil bros and sis to use for school and little games. However, I don't know much about how to fix things like this and I would please appreciate some help if y'all do provide it for an OS this old!!!

so much!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hello JonathanS,
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanS View Post
    Well first off, let me start by telling you this is a eMachines with Windows ME operating system. I found it in my parent's attic last week and it's been out of use for quite some time.
    "Helpers in malware removal forums are unlikely to respond and try to clean an operating system that is no longer supported and therefore cannot be updated or patched.

Further, the tools most often used for manual removals do not work on legacy systems."

End of support for Windows 98 and Windows ME

Best regards.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

Unhappy

Well dang, I should have read that more closely. I guess I'll have to let the nostalgia for that machine go.....maybe Best Buy can recycle it into the future Windows 11 computer I will own when it comes out

Thanks for a response! If I should delete this thread instead of letting it be closed, let me know.

again

Hi there,
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanS View Post
    I guess I'll have to let the nostalgia for that machine go.....
    I know the feeling.

The topic will be archived, you never know if it will help someone else.

Cheers
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016