Thread: SpbybotS&D crashes Win 7 when invoked by context menu on 18MB file

Default SpbybotS&D crashes Win 7 when invoked by context menu on 18MB file

I am using Win 7 Pro 64-bit. I used Firefox 12.0 to download ImageMagick-6.7.6-7-Q16-windows-dll.exe from http://www.imagemagick.org/script/binary-releases.php#windows. I opened the FF download folder C:\Users\TheUser\Downloads, right-clicked the file, and tried to invoke SpybotS&D from the context menu. Whenever I do this, Windows freezes. That is, I get the spinning wheel forever, and when I try to close the folder, I am told that Windows isn't responding. I select to restart Windows Explorer, which seems to solve the problem. This problem was repeatable. However, it only seems to afflict SpybotS&D. It doesn't afflict MSE or Malwarebytes when I try to invoke them on the same download file using the context menu.

I thought that the download folder might have some special restrictions, so I copied the exe download into another directory. I could invoke SpybotS&D just fine. When I go back to the download folder, strangely, SpybotS&D also invokes fine.

Can anyone else test this to see if they get the same problem (or whether it's just my computer setup)?

I am using Spybot S&D 1.6.2. Thanks.
    Last edited by Exerciser; 2012-04-29 at 09:06.