Thread: System Repair feature of S&D 2

Default System Repair feature of S&D 2

I just installed S&D 2 on a Windows XP Pro OS, and I encountered no errors. I have run most of all the tests, and everything looks good. I do have two questions, which I will deal with in separate threads. One question relates to the initial results from a Deep Scan for rootkits.

I looked at the Help file on rootkits in the program, but, if I found everything in the file, it appeared to have little information explaining what the details mean or what I should or could do to correct the apparent problems. For example, one type of anomaly that occurred with a number of files was identified as "Unknown ADS". I don't know what that means and my search of the Help file revealed nothing. I also don't know how to fix it, of course. The other anomaly that occurred with this rootkit scan showed a number of instances of "No admin in ACL". I assume that ACL means Access Control List, but even knowing that much, I am not sure how to fix this issue. Any ideas would be welcome. Thanks.
    Last edited by tashi; 2012-05-02 at 22:26. Reason: Moved to beta forum and merged with second topic :-)

Default System Repair feature of S&D 2

I just installed S&D 2 on a Windows XP Pro OS, and I encountered no errors. I have run most of all the tests, and everything looks good. I do have two questions, which I will deal with in separate threads. One question relates to the initial results from a test run with System Repair.

Overall the result looks fairly good to me, but two sections showed up needing attention. One section entitled Broken Application Paths, which revealed a few entries. After pressing the Repair button, I am given some options for correcting what issues were found. In one instance I was shown this:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\

Applicationl: winnt32.exe

Now, apparently this program is not located where it is identified in this case. I do know where this program is in fact; that is, C:\I386. So, my question is, should I fix this particular entry by pointing it at the correct location of the program, or should I assume that this entry is actually redundant. I mean, this program surely must be getting found because it is a critical OS program after all, is it not?

Aside from this question, I was pleased with the results. It did find quite a few broken Uninstaller issues, which I then deleted. Overall, the outcome was excellent.