Thread: HELP! Spybot deleted my files!

Default HELP! Spybot deleted my files!

I just returned from 5 weeks of backpacking through Central America and accidentally delete all my photos from my external hard drive upon plugging it into my laptop. Once I plugged it in Spybot informed me of two virus's on my computer labeled RECYCLER\0xFFD12566.exe so I approved to remove them. Once I removed the virus I realized it had deleted all my photos in my two folders.

I clicked the recovery button and the files are not located in there. I'm sure there must be a way to retrieve my photos somewhere? Can someone please explain to me how to retrieve the files that have been deleted with Spybot? I'm super bummed right now, and any help would be really appreciated!

Hello shawnmac,

Quote Originally Posted by shawnmac View Post
    I just returned from 5 weeks of backpacking through Central America and accidentally delete all my photos from my external hard drive upon plugging it into my laptop.
    Once I plugged it in Spybot informed me of two virus's on my computer labeled RECYCLER\0xFFD12566.exe so I approved to remove them. Once I removed the virus I realized it had deleted all my photos in my two folders.
    Spybot-S&D is not an anti virus program, the application does search for spyware, malware, adware, trojans, hijackers and keyloggers.

Could you please define the first and second quote with more details, and do you have an anti virus program installed on the laptop?

Are the two folders on the laptop or the external hard drive. Also what type of external drive is this.

Best regards,
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

Thank you so much for your quick response, my girlfriend is in tears right now over this.

Your right, Spybot is not a virus program, I knew that and was just really frazzled when I wrote the post, I apologize. I will try to explain the situation a little better. When I plugged in my external to my laptop two windows popped up both saying that spybot had found infectious files called RECYCLER\0xFFD12566.exe In the bottom of the window it had a checked box and beside it said to delete the file, and so I did.

As far as virus software I do have AVG, but it is expired and I don't think is working at the moment.

The picture folders were on my external. I wasn't even able to transfer them, this all happened really quickly.

I hope this helps, I'm sorry if I wasn't descriptive enough, I'm not super savvy with these sorts of things.

Thanks so much again for the response, I'm very greatfull.

Hello shawnmac,

The odds of recovery are perhaps 50/50 (no promises). For someone to take a look at the system please start a topic in the Malware Removal Forum providing a link back to this thread, and a volunteer analyst will advise when available.

First see that forum's FAQ which also includes instructions in post #2 on how to provide DDS logs, which are the logs used in the preliminary analysis.

http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=288

If the DDS won't run please start a new topic there anyway and make note of the issue.

As far as virus software I do have AVG, but it is expired and I don't think is working at the moment.
    There are free anti virus programs, your helper can give tips on computer safety in closing.

Best regards.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016