Thread: Do I have too much protection?

Default Do I have too much protection?

I have spybot S&D
    I have MalwareBytes
    I have Clamwin (No realtime scanner) older version with current updates.
    I have sysgate personal firewall which Avast interferes with.
    I have Avast 7 (Which I am not sure I want to keep & from some reason Avast forum posters don't like spybot s&d and said to get rid of it, I am keeping it).

The reason I am considering getting rid of Avast, I have a low memory system with windows xp sp3. I am really not sure about the cloud technology especially on dial-up (Yes, I am still on dial-up). From my understanding it stores your files on remote server. I scan all files I download with the exception of what plays in the browse. Realtime scanners seem to eat to much memory.

LavaSoft Ad-aware runs to slow on my system. I don't have that installed.

Emeritus

Two antimalware, one resident AV, one on demand AV. I would say no: not too much. Its a good balance.
    Since you mentioned low memory and speaking in general terms, I think most AV come with extra features other than just a core AV engine. Spybot also offers real time protection components. So does the paid version of MBAM. These features could overlap/conflict in what they are providing. You could disable the similar features in one or the other. May free up system resources. May take some experimentation on your part to see what works best. I am not really familiar with either one.

Panda Cloud AV according to Panda is lighter on system resources. Easiest thing to do is uninstall Avast, reboot and install Panda, you can always switch back or try another AV.
    Panda defaults are to install a security toolbar and set default search to google, i would uncheck these during the install process.

Sygate was great in its time but its no longer supported/developed and I think the last version came out 7 or 8 years ago and for this reason I wouldnt use it.
    How Can I Reduce My Risk?

Quote Originally Posted by shelf life View Post
    Two antimalware, one resident AV, one on demand AV. I would say no: not too much. Its a good balance.
    Since you mentioned low memory and speaking in general terms, I think most AV come with extra features other than just a core AV engine. Spybot also offers real time protection components. So does the paid version of MBAM. These features could overlap/conflict in what they are providing. You could disable the similar features in one or the other. May free up system resources. May take some experimentation on your part to see what works best. I am not really familiar with either one.

Panda Cloud AV according to Panda is lighter on system resources. Easiest thing to do is uninstall Avast, reboot and install Panda, you can always switch back or try another AV.
    Panda defaults are to install a security toolbar and set default search to google, i would uncheck these during the install process.

Sygate was great in its time but its no longer supported/developed and I think the last version came out 7 or 8 years ago and for this reason I wouldn't use it.
    I was going to try Panda, I have some concerns about the cloud technology. The way I understand it, it uploads each file. That wouldn't work even if I wasn't not on dial-up The reason there are some private files that I don't want every uploaded to the internet & I also have some very big back-up image files on my hard drive. I even disabled Avast Cloud technology. I was able to barely get Avast 7+ using a download manage. Plus a lot of High Speed Internet service providers have a cap that you can't go over.

I am going to keep Av7 for awhile (Disable Program update but still get the virus update), plus I went back to my older firewall-that I like & works.

I decided to Keep Spybot. I may give tea-timer a try again.
    Last edited by groze; 2012-06-07 at 22:14.

Emeritus

it stores your files on remote server. some private files that I don't want every uploaded
    "At least in Panda’s implementation of cloud-scanning when a file is “scanned by the cloud” it doesn’t actually leave your computer, it is not uploaded to our Collective Intelligence servers. What really happens is that Panda Cloud Antivirus creates a really small reverse signature of the file and the signature is what gets checked against the cloud."
    Source
    How Can I Reduce My Risk?

Quote Originally Posted by shelf life View Post
    "At least in Panda’s implementation of cloud-scanning when a file is “scanned by the cloud” it doesn’t actually leave your computer, it is not uploaded to our Collective Intelligence servers. What really happens is that Panda Cloud Antivirus creates a really small reverse signature of the file and the signature is what gets checked against the cloud."
    Source
    I may try it at a later date. I just found a freeware firewall that works on my system. It is still old, it better then the previous freeware and doesn't conflict with sea-monkey 2.10 Now, for awhile I can keep a new browser on my xp system. I have always like outpost firewall free version. I finally installed outlook firewall 2009 version. I really like it with the exception of the host part. I just want to know what goes out, not what happens on my computer. I wouldn't like the other software I mentioned in another thread-both would bug you for every activity you do. I still don't know what Agnitum means by anti-leak. I will most likely disable the host part of the program. It passed the grc shield's up test