Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Access Violation when Installing

Default Access Violation when Installing

Trying to install SpyBot S&D but when clicking on setup file it comes up with "Access Violation at address 712E01C1 Write of address 00000001"

Am running Windows 7 64bit.

Have done some googling and it says this error means another program must be using memory that spybot wants to use, but how do i find out what it's clashing with?

All help & advice greatly appreciated...

Hello danny12345,
    Quote Originally Posted by danny12345 View Post
    Trying to install SpyBot S&D but when clicking on setup file it comes up with "Access Violation at address 712E01C1 Write of address 00000001"
    Hits on "Access Violation at address 712E01C1 Write of address 00000001" mention that DirectX might need to be re-installed and/or soundcard issues.

When installing new software you could try closing down all unnecessary applications that are running in the background and see if that helps.

Best regards,
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

Thanks for that, will try those things and let you know.

Meant to add in original post: I've tested memory (5 passes in memtest86+) which was fine, and also get the same AV error message when i try to install spybot in safe mode. Don't know if that makes a difference to your advice?

Hi danny12345,

The cause of access violations can be difficult to pinpoint, which anti virus program are you running? Please list all security programs installed.

Best regards,

I've recently uninstalled AVG Free and gone for the free version of Avast instead. I also got a message yesterday from windows that Defender needed to perform a scan which was fine but after I got this AV message I deactivated it but it still happened. Those are the only security progs I have at the moment (thought it was about time to get spybot...then this happened)

I've made a few changes and updates recently so I might have a go at trying a system restore as well.. just so annoying when there's so many things it could be...
    Last edited by danny12345; 2012-06-26 at 20:58.

Hello danny12345,
    I've recently uninstalled AVG Free and gone for the free version of Avast instead. I also got a message yesterday from windows that Defender needed to perform a scan which was fine but after I got this AV message I deactivated it but it still happened.
    To clarify, is Windows Security Essentials installed? You received the access violation error after the Defender message?

No, not got windows security essentials, think defender came pre-loaded with win7, but I noticed a message from the action centre which said I should do a scan, so I did. Yeah got the AV message after doing the scan but may have done other stuff as well inbetween.

I've switched off defender, uninstalled my Avast, run CCleaner on the registry, and am still getting a Violation, albeit a different first number (now says AV at address 728601C1) - is there any chance this could be malware..?

Hello danny12345,
    I've switched off defender, uninstalled my Avast, run CCleaner on the registry, and am still getting a Violation, albeit a different first number (now says AV at address 728601C1)
    At this time you are on the Internet without any security programs running?

I don't get any hits on Access Violation at address 728601C1.

How often do you use a registry cleaner and did you run it before receiving these errors?

at this moment, yes, no security (on the assumpton that this problem was caused by some kind of clash between security software....). I've never used reg cleaner before AV message, but had read somewhere it can help with these access violation errors so gave it a go...may be interesting to note I was able to download and install ccleaner ok but tried malwarebytes and spybot - both give access violation errors when clicking to run install...makes me think something on my system doesn't want me to have anti-spyware software...

Hi danny12345,
    at this moment, yes, no security (on the assumpton that this problem was caused by some kind of clash between security software....).
    Better to have an error on installing new software than to uninstall a working anti virus program.

I've never used reg cleaner before AV message, but had read somewhere it can help with these access violation errors so gave it a go...
    Please note Registry Cleaners, not recommended

may be interesting to note I was able to download and install ccleaner ok but tried malwarebytes and spybot - both give access violation errors when clicking to run install...makes me think something on my system doesn't want me to have anti-spyware software...
    For someone to take a look at the system please start a topic in the Malware Removal Forum providing a link back to this thread and a volunteer analyst will advise when available.

First see that forum's FAQ which also includes instructions in post #2 on how to provide DDS logs, which are the logs used in the preliminary analysis.
    http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=288

If the DDS won't run please start a new topic anyway and make a note of the issue.

Best regards,