Thread: S&D Only works in safe mode

Default S&D Only works in safe mode

I had a problem a while back where Spybot suddenly stopped finding anything on my computer. I uninstalled and installed it again and everything worked fine. Recently it started to do it again, but uninstall/install did not work. I've tried several times, but nothing. Eventually I tried running it in Safe Mode, and where 5 minutes earlier I got a "no threats found" it found 42 threats. After doing that I tried to uninstall again (hoping one of the things removed in Safe Mode had been causing the problem) but still no luck. I guess I could always shut down and go into safe mode every time I wanted to run S&D, but I'd rather get down to what the cause of this is. Thanks.

Hello NoCode0680,

Some similaries to your previous thread: http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=64042

Could you provide more details please.

All security software installed.

How the computer runs in general.

The operating system and any service packs.

Open Spybot Search & Destroy > Help > About and let us know the version and date of last definitions.

Best regards.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

This was 5 months ago, and I ended up getting another computer because of some unrelated issues, and now it's started doing the same thing on this computer. Always says my computer is safe, then I restart in Safe Mode and it find a list of problems.

Here's the info you asked for

Security Software - Spybot S&D, Microsoft Security Essentials

The computer runs fine in general

Windows 7 Home Premium - Service Pack 1

Spybot 1.6.2.46 - Last Update was today 11/7/2012

Hello,

Please run Spybot - Search & Destroy and switch to "Advanced mode" via the menu bar item "Mode" and select "Settings" --> "File Sets" in the left bar. There, please right-click somewhere into the list and choose "select all available checks".

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

That didn't work spybotsandra. When I ran it all I got was a lot of things in blue, apparently not "problems" as Spybot defines them, but I fixed them anyway. Launched Safe Mode and ran again, found 68 problems.